London SE1 community website

Mandela Way - New depot for Westminster refuse lorries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 8 September 2009 10.28am
Hi Jan the old one.

This isn't a rent - that would have to be paid seperately to the landlord (I suspect Westminster are leasing it for a long period for a normal commerical rent). I dont think LB Southwark are the landlords for this site.

The Section 106 (it's a section of the Local Authority Planning Act that allows councils to impose this sort of condition) says that in return for granting planning permission there are a number of things that must be done or paid for. Another example of this is where Barrats or someone like that has to pay for a new by-pass in return for getting planning permission for some houses. On a smaller level Kent Couty Council makes everyone who builds a new house contribute towards a fund to build new schools.

In this case LB Southwark have said "if you want planning permission we want all of our costs, plus about 100k of other stuff in return". The legislation has been a real financial boost for councils.

I didnt see a condition that vehicles have to be washed, but there is one that they have to be empty of all rubbish. I'll read it again. It is a mix of dustcarts and road sweepers that will be housed there.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 12.04pm
Pops wrote:
I live very close to the site and none of my estate have been consulted (I checked the list on their site).

I also live within the consultation area - as shown on their diagram - but my building was not consulted either...

I'm going to send the council an FOI request to ask why my building is shown within the consultation area on THEIR map but was not actually included in the consultation as I definintely would have objected to this being so close to a residential area/ my property.

Westminster should sort out their dirty refuse vehicles within their own borough!
Tuesday 8 September 2009 12.05pm
Funny enough TruthMonkey I thought Southwark owned the land/or sub-let it!

I used to work in manor place about twenty years ago and when the wind was in the wrong direction the pong would invade your nostrils from Occupation road...
Tuesday 8 September 2009 2.24pm
It appears to be owned by TfL who first leased it to Geo Post and then to Go Ahead. My point though was that the Section 106 isn't connected to the rent. LB Southwark as planning authority has to be kept away from them as a landlord.

Gwynaethva - you should definitely write and ask them why you didnt receive a letter if you think you should of. Which map are you referring to? Do you appear on the list of properties under the Consultee tab (http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeNeighbours&TheSystemkey=9532325)?

By the way that wouldnt be an FOI request - FOI only covers information they hold (eg minutes of meetings, emails between officers) rather than the right to ask them why they did or didnt do something - which you have anyway!
Tuesday 8 September 2009 2.33pm
Hi. What I meant is that the map with the red dots on it clearly includes my building, but we're not on the list of consultees that is below it.

What I meant as an FOI request is more along the lines of 'where/ who do you get your lists of consultees/ applicable buildings from and how do you know that they are all inculsive?'
Tuesday 8 September 2009 2.56pm
Ah perhaps that doesnt show on my browser - I use Firefox. I know that the fancy mapping on Westminster's site is IE only!

Councils have a responsiblity to maintain the local Gazetteer (list of addresses - you have to let them know if you want to renumber your house) so their records should be totally up to date. Consultee mapping is usually done on a distance basis - are there properties further away that received letters?
Tuesday 15 September 2009 5.15pm
Belated update from last week's meeting:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4096

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 15 September 2009 11.28pm
Oh.

Well, if Stanton has anything to do with it it will get pushed through regardless.

He's probably aiming for a knighthood now...
Wednesday 16 September 2009 7.09am
Westminster didn't want the cross-river tram, I do not see why we should accept their waste
Wednesday 16 September 2009 8.56am
Julien wrote:
Westminster didn't want the cross-river tram, I do not see why we should accept their waste

But, frustratingly, that isn't a valid (under the Planning Laws the council need to follow) reason for refusing planning permission.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions