London SE1 community website

Old Pictures of SE1 & surrounding area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 17 July 2009 10.34pm
wow......i love these pics.......parents lived in lynton road since i was born......now 39 and still live just round the corner.....can remember how some things were......
Tuesday 21 July 2009 9.16am
I'll look at these when I get home tonight. For more old pictures of Southwark you can visit The Cuming Museum's 'Lost Southwark' exhibition. A display of some lovely old prints, drawings and paintings of old buildings and spaces in Soutwark. For more information see www.southwark.gov.uk/cumingmuseum
Tuesday 21 July 2009 3.52pm
Some lovely old photos there, many of which bring back fond memories. Too many to mention, but one I would like to share a memory or to about is the pub on the corner of Manor Place and Delverton Road. I may be wrong, but I always knew it as the'Rose' not the 'Roses.' My whole tribe lived in Danson Road and Tarver Road, so it was our local. Wish I had a quid for every time I've stood outside there with a lemonade and a bag of crisps, (Smith's crisps, of course, with the little blue bag of salt inside.)Every year the pub organised a Beano for the regulars, I think they went alternative years to Southend and Margate. (Sounds about right.)There was always a good crowd of friends and relatives to give them a send off. As the punters were waiting for the coach to set off they would throw coins out of the windows. Us kids would scurry around like rats, scooping up the pennies and ha'pennies. Occasionally a thre'pney bit would hit the deck and there would be a right old scuffle! During the build up to the coronation in 1953 the residents of Tarver Road organised a street party. But, come the day, the weather was so wet and windy that it was transferred to the top room of the 'Rose.' Five minutes in to the proceedings I spilt a cup of tea down my new white shirt and had to be taken home to change. The weather brightened up a little in the afternoon and we all filed round in to Tarver Road and my uncle Ted organised a sports day, with races up and down the street. It looked such a long way from one end of Tarver Road to the other back then, but when I went back there for a look round some years ago I couldn't believge what a short road it actually was. Things look so different through the eyes of a six year-old.
Wednesday 22 July 2009 8.16am
Nice to know someone remembers the Beanos Chalkey,We had simple pleasure as children, as you say the little blue bag in the crisp packets and the penny arrowroot biscuits, hard as nails until you sucked them a bit!

looking at how miserable some children seem to be nowadays, perhaps they have too many finer things to appreciate scrabbling about for farthings,halfpence,pennies..come to think of it I have seen school children throwing away their two pences and fives!
Monday 10 October 2016 12.59am
Does the url still work, as I am trying to find pictures of the area. My mother used to live in Cornwall Road.

Thanks Anne
Monday 10 October 2016 8.12am
Annetwin1,
Try ' Lambeth Landmark' which is Lambeth's archive site for old photos.

The site I prefer and use most often is www.britainfromabove.org.uk which you can zoom in quite dramatically because the photos are so good with so much detail. The photos are mainly 1920 - 1940 but apart from the slum clearances undertaken by the LCC in the 1930s, I believe central London had not changed much over the previous 50 years so you may be able to find what you are looking for.
Monday 10 October 2016 8.27am
Try the London Picture Archive 'Collage' run by the London Metropolitan Archives and Guildhall Art Gallery. This website went live a couple of months ago. Just enter the name of the road you are researching in the Search field and away you go.

www.richardqmiller.com
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions