London SE1 community website

What's your favourite road name in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Friday 24 July 2009 6.51pm
Any list should include Lant Street, to remove Lant would be simply taking the... er.. em.. er.
Friday 24 July 2009 8.10pm
Horsleydown is my fave.

There are lots of explanations of the derivation - but it's nothing to do with horses or ladies of the night! (depending on which story you hear)
Friday 24 July 2009 8.26pm
This is a good subject. Keep 'em coming!
In the meantime, let's think of the next pot boiler!
Friday 24 July 2009 8.38pm
AS it's spread out of SE1, Fleur De Lis in the City is a pretty good name.
Friday 24 July 2009 10.36pm
Blimey Hutch!
I worked in the City from 1962 til 1991 and I've never heard of Fleur de Lis! Where's that? As the City has now changed out of all recognition, I guess it's one of the new ones. Sounds a bit Yuppy/Wine bar-sh to me!
Friday 24 July 2009 11.55pm
Used to live near Fleur de Lis Street, it's in E1 near Spitalfields and although it's a lovely little road, it gets a bit busy late at night as it is frequented by a few..err..ladies and their regulars. Fleur de Lys, the proper spelling in French I think, means 'flower of the bed' which is apparently a term for prostitutes.

My SE1 favourite is Ship and Mermaid Row which contains only one house which is appropriately a beautiful beach house....swoon......

Outside of SE1, got to be most little lanes in the City, Pudding Lane, Mincing Lane, St Mary Axe, etc.
Saturday 25 July 2009 5.05am
I am sorry emmab but a bed in French is " un lit". "Un lis" or "lys" is a lilly, ie a plant.
"Fleur de lis" must mean the flower of the lilly.
I agree it is a pretty name but I like Ship and mermaid row better.
Saturday 25 July 2009 9.41am
I'm wearing this particular anorak out, but enjoying it. Here we go again!
I used to work in 'Undershaft' in the City and the local church was called St. Andrew's Undershaft. Naturally my enquiring mind had to do a little delving and here's what I discovered. Hundreds of years ago there used to be a big May-day festival on the site where my office building was and one year they errected a very tall maypole, the biggest they'd ever had. It was known as the 'Great shaft.' Once it had been completed it was discovered that once errected it would be taller than the steeple of the nearby St. Andrew's church. No structure in those days was allowed to be taller than a church steeple and so they had to get a dispensation from the Pope to allow the maypole to stand. This was granted and the church was henceforth known as St Andrew's 'Undershaft.' If anyone would like to check it out it's on the left off Leadenhall St. by St. Mary Axe if your walking from Bank station.
Saturday 25 July 2009 10.41am
Maggie Blake eh? - good on her.

I love Horselydown - where the horses would be stabled after they'd brought goods up from the channel to go to market over the river.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions