London SE1 community website

What's your favourite road name in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8
Monday 27 July 2009 5.12pm
Clink Street and Crucifix Lane....I guess were roads to avoid back in the days!
Monday 27 July 2009 5.28pm
Mr Quilp is a character in Charles Dickens' "TheOld Curiosity Shop"
Monday 27 July 2009 6.53pm
JayBee wrote:
Mr Quilp is a character in Charles Dickens' "TheOld Curiosity Shop"

Ah, of course. Which would make sense as it's near Doyce St, Clennam St, Little Dorrit Court etc etc.
Monday 27 July 2009 10.15pm
JayBee wrote:
Tosh wrote:
I've always liked Lafone Street. No idea what it means or where it comes from...
Can anyone enlighten me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Malins_Lafone

As a Lafone Street resident, I once looked into this at the Local History library. The helpful librarian came up with Mr Alfred Lafone. He was a local bigwig who amongst other things was:

Conservative MP for Bermondsey 1886-1892 & 1895-1900; a JP; President of the Free Church Federation for Croydon and district and the head of "one of the greatest firms of leather-factors, trading under the style of Boutcher, Mortimore, and Co".

With pleasing symmetry he was also key player in the Public Library Movement.
Monday 27 July 2009 10.52pm
It's gotta be Gibbons Rents.
Tuesday 28 July 2009 7.11am
Tennis Street. I lived there up until the end of June but have now moved to Kew. I used to enjoy saying over the phone when giving my address, "Tennis Street, as in the game" ... Perpendicular to Tennis Street is Mermaid Court which is also fun.
Tuesday 28 July 2009 7.55am
Quite funny you refer to Mermaid court as fun, my old Mum always said as a child that was where red 'at an no drawers ladies did their business!
Tuesday 28 July 2009 1.39pm
I've always chuckled at Cluny Place - just off Bermondsey Street.
Due to Southwark's "ladies of the night" reputation I've always assumed the "l" was added sometime in the last couple of hundred years. But now that I've written it down I think maybe that's just my dirty mind.
Tuesday 28 July 2009 7.22pm
I don't know why but I love Vinegar Yard.
Tuesday 28 July 2009 9.05pm
There are so many to choose from--Ship and Mermaid Row, Horsleydown Old Stairs--but surely the award for the best intersection in SE1 has got to go to Druid Street and Crucifix Lane.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 4 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions