London SE1 community website

What's your favourite road name in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Tuesday 28 July 2009 11.07pm
TomDV wrote:
Quilp Street. don't know why, i just like it.

Me too.

I live overlooking the aforementioned meeting of Crucifix Lane and Druid Street, which I'm pretty chuffed about for some reason!
Wednesday 29 July 2009 12.31am
Sorry to disappoint you, Tracy but Cluny Place is named after the French town from which the monks came to found Bermondsey Abbey. You do indeed have a dirty mind!

The eastern part of Grange Walk used to be Horney Lane, which I have always found amusing (fnaar fnaar).
Wednesday 29 July 2009 10.27am
Snow Fields is a pretty cool name.
Wednesday 29 July 2009 9.55pm
The Cut. Nuff said......
Thursday 30 July 2009 8.32am
Lower Marsh, - as if living in just a marsh was not bad enough

and Morocco Street - because despite the hot and sunny name, as long as I can remember it has always had riverlets dribbling from the walls and running across the pavement. The complete inappropriateness of the name always makes me smile
Sunday 2 August 2009 6.16pm
boss street. hands down winner

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 2 August 2009 6.38pm
I've always liked 'Jamaica Road.' Would have been a great name for a soap opera if Estenders hadn't come along first.
Sunday 2 August 2009 8.00pm
This is a great thread!

Of the roads I've walked on in the last few days, I like:

- Pilgrimage Street; just off Long Lane, it reminds me of the history of SE1 and for some reason the Peasants' Revolt, even though the participants were not pilgrims!

- Nebraska Street; because of link with the chilling Bruce Springsteen album and song.

- Great Maze Pond; really evocative, and harks back to a time when London was home to rookeries, where there was overcrowding and such poor sanitation.

- Newcomen Street; named after one of the greatest inventors of the industrial age, Thomas Newcomen.

I really like some of the other names people have suggested, in particular Druid Street!
Sunday 2 August 2009 8.10pm
Nigel_S wrote:
Newcomen Street; named after one of the greatest inventors of the industrial age, Thomas Newcomen.
Elizabeth Newcomen, local benefactor, surely.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 2 August 2009 9.25pm
Wilds Rents for me, too. And yes, Elizabeth Newcomen is 'behind' Newcoment Street.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions