London SE1 community website

What's your favourite road name in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8
Thursday 17 September 2009 5.07pm
Touche, Hutch!
Saturday 19 September 2009 10.51pm
Being a somtime collector of maps I often like reading old street names and this is an EXCELLENT topic.

SE1: Alaska Street opposite Waterloo Station is a local favorite.

Greater London: I used to work near Perkin Rents.

And of the many, many more that have amused me I think you will all forgive this for out of town nomination...

Thank you :D
Saturday 19 September 2009 11.08pm
I quite like Pea Place
Thursday 19 May 2011 1.41pm
Thought I'd bump this fabulous thread by putting in my own vote for Wild's Rents
Thursday 19 May 2011 4.07pm
Great minds, KiplingPhil - I came on site to put the same! Great name :-)
Friday 20 May 2011 9.26pm
Saturday 21 May 2011 4.32pm
late pickel herring street

we're hoping the new laneway on the development at potters field will be so named. not to forget pickle herring stairs if you pause outside boris's ...
Saturday 21 May 2011 4.39pm
lullylush wrote:
Maggie Blake eh? - good on her.
I love Horselydown - where the horses would be stabled after they'd brought goods up from the channel to go to market over the river.

horselydown almost certainly has nothing to do with horses. the common appears on a map first in 1478. it may be a corruption of st john the local parish and church as tooley is a corruption of st olav.
how you get there is anyone's guess.
Saturday 21 May 2011 4.44pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Does the old 'Pickle Herring Lane' still exist up at Tower Bridge where the new-ish More London now resides? I always like that name so much. Resonant off of the Thames and all it's crazy and industrious goings-on of yore!
I also enjoyed going past 'Ship and Mermaid Row' yesterday on a stroll.

no, but we're hoping the new laneway on the development at potters field will be so named. not to forget pickle herring stairs ...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Current: 8 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions