London SE1 community website

Thameslink / Borough Market - is destruction really necessary?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Monday 3 August 2009 11.36am
I'm sure when the victorians built the original viaduct though the area they didnt agonise too much about the buildings destroyed - thats not to say that it makes it the right thing to do, but I think building projects like this all go to make up the rich tapestry of London's architecture and streetlife. I get Thameslink every day from SE1, so yes the upgrade will benefit me as a resident of SE1, but of course will have far wider-reaching benefits, hugely imrpoving services and hopefully getting more people out of their cars and on to trains. I'm sad to see some of the buildings go - and just hope that any replacements can be more than bland glass and steel things!
Monday 3 August 2009 12.53pm
Thank you RobO and Gavin for correcting my grammar. All that does is to divert attention from the actual points I made; Gavin's "understanding" was incorrect so I corrected him as he requested. (BTW, I gave up pointing out other people's errors in grammar and spelling a long time ago, and there are many far more serious mistakes on this forum - I am still waiting for James to introduce an automatic spelling/grammar/text speak corrector.)

Since you ask, Gavin, Network Rail has no remit to plough any "profit" into the LOCAL economy, and in any case the Office of Rail Regulation is pretty good at making sure we don't benefit directly. Please address your complaints to the ORR and the Department for Transport, not Network Rail.
Monday 3 August 2009 1.25pm
Thanks for your reply Possel. My post wasn't to correct your grammar; rather just to point out that "views" can't be incorrect.

I entirely take on your viewpoint but my view remains as was. I don't see the point in complaining to ORR, the DFT or Network Rail. History has shown that government-led organisations generally get their own way and so complaining would be pointless; that, however, is not to say that I am happy and I believe a large chunk of the local community are probably in the same boat as me.
Monday 3 August 2009 3.11pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I don't see the point in complaining to ORR, the DFT or Network Rail. History has shown that government-led organisations generally get their own way and so complaining would be pointless;

So why bother to go on about it on a web forum!

This isn't Nazi Germany - if there is a large volume of complairs and lobbying this can and does result in changes to plans.
Monday 3 August 2009 3.30pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
So why bother to go on about it on a web forum!

because everyone else is debating it and so thought I'd add my bit!

complaints and lobbying rarely if ever pay off and in this particular case it won't make any difference.

If you're in the mood for mass lobbying though, Lang Rabbie, perhaps you might want to read my post re Portland Wharf - that is a worthwhile cause which no one seems very interested about. Another piece of public land being stolen...
Monday 3 August 2009 4.41pm
re visiting Borough market just makes you hungry

theres a bit of the Thames Path not far from Borough market thats just a wide path and then a fenced off ground floor car park - i think it might be Pickfords Wharf

i reckon you could put in a long row of food booths (like that temporary shop outside City Hall)

each could be run by a local each serving a single reasonably priced dish sourced from the market

itd keep the tourists out of the actual market and
provide local jobs

you could get celebrity chefs to make up the dishes
(taste ease of preparation etc etc) which the locals would then learn how to prepare perfectly - each only specializing in a single dish so itd be very short training

i reckon itd be a real hit if it was cheap - theyd make up for low prices by having a really high sales volume

itd be way better than getting food from some boring chain and i reckon itd be as popular with Londoners as it would be with tourists

as i said at the start - visiting Borough market is pretty much guaranteed to make anyone peckish
Monday 3 August 2009 5.28pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I don't see the point in complaining to ORR, the DFT or Network Rail. History has shown that government-led organisations generally get their own way and so complaining would be pointless.

They will definitely get their own way if no one ever argues with them! Surely it's worth sending an email, signing a petition or bringing it up at a Community Council meeting (http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/ieListMeetings.aspx?CId=173&Year=2009) if it's important to local people.
Monday 3 August 2009 5.31pm
Can someone post a link to what the current plans are? I keep hearing loads about this new viaduct but I can't find out what it's actually going to look like.
Monday 3 August 2009 5.48pm
Not a visual, but a plan of it here:

http://www.sabmac.co.uk/affected/plan2.htm
Tuesday 11 August 2009 12.35am
Horrible just to look at the diagram.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions