London SE1 community website

Thameslink / Borough Market - is destruction really necessary?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Sunday 23 August 2009 9.53pm
Also I also don't agree with janefs that
“The real life of such buildings depends on how useful and attractive the businesses are to people”

that's a developers and architects mandate to do whatever they like as the usage isn't in there hands,

The truth is a place with the character of borough market,
the the way the buildings look
And whether existing ones are demolished in the first place is the number one issue as the usage can take care of itself. And can be amended at any point after the redevelopment the architecture cant.

We will also have to wait to see what the covered Blackfriars bridge looks like,

If they had to do it they should have had the balls to continue the theme of arches that already cover the existing station ,

Some time you cant go past the obvious.
Monday 24 August 2009 12.32pm
I predict that we will see a similar 'regeneration' that Spitalfields went through. Borough market will become yet another faceless shopping precinct, infected with chains of Starbucks et al and poor quality fast food outlets being frequented by fat americans in ill fitting clothing.

It is utterly disgusting what Network Rail (with the assistance of Ken Livingston and the Corporation of London) have been allowed to get away with in the destruction of one of Londons finest landmarks in the name of 'progress'.
Monday 24 August 2009 1.05pm
Oliver Watson wrote:
I predict that we will see a similar 'regeneration' that Spitalfields went through. Borough market will become yet another faceless shopping precinct, infected with chains of Starbucks et al and poor quality fast food outlets being frequented by fat americans in ill fitting clothing.
It is utterly disgusting what Network Rail (with the assistance of Ken Livingston and the Corporation of London) have been allowed to get away with in the destruction of one of Londons finest landmarks in the name of 'progress'.

There aren't any Starbucks at Spitalfields Market. I wouldn't say Leon, Canteen, Carluccios, etc are poor quality fast food either. I am with you on ill-fitting clothing though, but no need to single out Americans.
Monday 24 August 2009 1.13pm
I think they've done a decent job with Spitalfields, so if that's the plan for Borough Market then it's fine by me.
Monday 24 August 2009 1.25pm
Before we get carried away - Network Rails works are only affecting a portion of the market. The future of the market is much more in the hands of the trustees of the market - its up to them whether it stays a food market or goes the way of Spitalields.
Wednesday 26 August 2009 12.04am
As I pointed out on a different thread Camden Market is probably the better comparison,

The first wave in-between Camden lock and the stables market is a faceless wall of steel,
They seemed to have learnt from that mistake for the second phase which fits in with the original layout, and character.

What they have done is still excessive , but they got away with it,

Borough market has to get it right first time,

And what they have planed isn't good enough.
Sunday 27 September 2009 11.30pm
Also I have to disagree with some of Henrietta Green's comments in the News Section
I think Borough markets success is dependent on its success as a tourist attraction.
Monday 28 September 2009 10.40am
Perhaps the market would survive longer if it focussed on the tourist business, but then the nature of the market would change from a produce market to a fast-food market - something we are already seeing there.
Monday 28 September 2009 12.45pm
The term fast food suggests McDonalds or Berger King,

The food sold at Borough Market has no resemblance to that.
Monday 28 September 2009 1.17pm
what about Camden market

that just expanded and diversified using more and more sites

- and theres no shortage of railway arches in Borough
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions