London SE1 community website

Thameslink / Borough Market - is destruction really necessary?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Monday 28 September 2009 1.51pm
There are a number of regular food markets established or being planned around the area. I hope BM never 'diversifies' from being a food market, whatever one thinks of the quality and cost of the products, but 'market forces' (for which read the tourist trade) may make that inevitable. Those requiring a sanitised environment and/or over-priced tat are catered for in Spitalfields, Covent Garden and Camden.

I'm told that there is some kind of local 'by-law' that inhibits the development of a similar food market within a certain distance of BM.
Monday 28 September 2009 2.21pm
Regardless of the semantics of the term "fast-food", the point still remains that a significant part of the income of a significant number of traders come from "food that does not take long to cook and can be taken away". Adapting the market for tourists will only propegate this - a group of Spanish tourists just don't want to take a forerib of beef home...
Monday 28 September 2009 2.27pm
That's what I like about Borough market, all the fantastic hot food on sale to eat straightaway.
Monday 28 September 2009 3.17pm
mickysalt wrote:
That's what I like about Borough market, all the fantastic hot food on sale to eat straightaway.

Me too, and I don't understand why Henrietta or others view this negatively.
Monday 28 September 2009 4.21pm
reinventing itself as a foodies' market is perhaps the best move BM has made - surely it would otherwise have met extinction some years back; it is simply not worthwhile for small (fruit and veg) businesses to be based in such a central area when accommodation costs, etc. would be so much cheaper elsewhere. To do this, the market/its trustees have had to reinvent the wheel and look away from the traditional setup and I, for one, think they have done it fantastically.

The point is that it is better to have BM there in some form than not at all and personally I think a visit to the food stalls up at market makes for a fun (maybe expensive though!) afternoon.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 11.40am
is that plan from an earlier post still valid?

it calls it 'Thameslink 2000', and it's dated in places as 1997! 12 years ago!

does anyone have access to up to date plans? please?
Tuesday 29 September 2009 1.15pm
JonR there are several links to the proposals through earlier threads if you do a search. You shouldn't be surprised that it was once called Thameslink 2000 - there has been a proposal to build a viaduct through the area from way back before that particular incarnation (which was debated through two public inquiries). I think there is still a link to http://www.sabmac.co.uk/ where the proposals currently under construction are well documented.
Monday 26 October 2009 5.33pm
Taking these photos felt like dancing on a grave, but in the sunshine the stripped roof looked beautiful.

Monday 26 October 2009 5.55pm
I'm on a roll, here's another.
Tuesday 27 October 2009 9.25am
JonR wrote:
it calls it 'Thameslink 2000', and it's dated in places as 1997! 12 years ago!

That's the thing a lot of people don't seem to realise, that the Thameslink development project pre-dates the current incantation of the market by several years.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions