London SE1 community website

Rats with wings How to get rid?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 5 August 2009 11.37am
But do the birds of prey decoys deter all the smaller birds too? I expect so.

I've been reading these posts hoping that someone will come up with something to get shot of pigeions for me too as I too have a similar problem with them.

Trouble is I unwittingly encourged the pigeons by hanging a bird feeder out from my balcony. The small birds can get to the feeder but not the pigeons - though they do insist on trying - which would be quite entertaining if they didn't leave such a revolting mess.

I too would like to find something other than the unsightly spikes.
Wednesday 5 August 2009 11.25pm
The spikes I bought are quite unobtrusive. They have a clear(ish) plastic strip with wire spikes. The spikes are thin and as I am at the top of the building, they blend in with the sky. Most importantly; they work. And they are less unsightly than pigeon poo, especially when they have been feasting on berries! BTW I attracted the pigeons on to my balcony because I put a feeder out for the small birds. The feeder is still there and that's how I know the spikes are working.
Friday 7 August 2009 9.56am
Thanks KarenI - I think I'll give the spikes a go - perhaps I can disguise them a bit with plants (or would that be cruelty to pigeons??). Where did you get the spikes and were they expensive?
Friday 7 August 2009 10.08am
You can get them from good old Leyland in Southwark Street (where the Brahma Tea Museum was. They're open Saturdays
Friday 7 August 2009 1.17pm
Thanks JayBee.
Friday 7 August 2009 9.32pm
I bought the spikes in the hardware store on Lower Marsh.
Friday 7 August 2009 10.40pm
I hope I don't come back as a pigeon...so much hate. I look on them as dirty doves
Saturday 8 August 2009 7.58am
Technically they are doves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Pigeon

Though going round screaming 'Bloody doves!' somehow doesn't work.
Saturday 8 August 2009 8.13am
JayBee wrote:
I hope I don't come back as a pigeon...so much hate. I look on them as dirty doves

and to think, it's stupid human's fault anyway.
Saturday 8 August 2009 9.17am
Thanks for all the suggestions guys & brilliant wiki link Tolstoy. Who knew pigeons were getting medals in world wars?

I tried to find an owl the other day but closest I got was a parrott with big beak & real feathers from a fancy dress shop (pieces of eight) Will give this a try & report back.

I am warming to the spikey things now that its been pointed out they are not as unsightly as guano so might try them as well.

The wikipedia Rock pigeon article had a section on predators so I googled plastic peregrine falcon and found this

http://www.pigeonstop.co.uk

Expensive but interesting
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions