London SE1 community website

LibDems being creative!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 18 August 2009 11.31am
markadams99 wrote:
Neil wrote:
I really dont think Simon Hughes' sexuality is in any way relevant to the barchart on this leaflet.
Who said it was?

Well if noone thinks it was then we can get back to discussing more interesting things such as logarithms.
Tuesday 18 August 2009 11.42am
Neil wrote:
beetroot wrote:
If the figures are represented correctly, even if you stretch or shrink what we see, or chop off the bottom so we don't see, surely the proportional relationship (is that even English? You know what I mean) stays the same.

They almost certainly didnt square the results to produce this effect but they must have done something else non-linear (taking the log of the results probably).

Tell me more! What would the log of the results do. Hope this isn't too tedious but I'm rather interested. I did 'O' level statistics and it didn't cover different ways of, for want of a better word, deceiving.
Tuesday 18 August 2009 11.58am
beetroot wrote:
Tell me more! What would the log of the results do.

Well logs are kinda the inverse of raising numbers to a power so have the opposite effect.

Before you could square the results to change the graph ratios from 10cm : 9cm to 10cm : 8.1cm (ie the difference in the votes was exagerrated).

If you take the log (to base 10) of the same results. Labour's 10,000 becomes 4 (because log(10,000) = 4) and the Lib Dems become 3.954. We can multiply both by 2.5 to give Labour 10cm again but this time the Lib Dems are on 9.89cm.

ie they appear to be much closer than they really are

Obviously I dont know what was really done but I imagine that it was some combination of this and cutting off the grpah before the origin / zero point.
Tuesday 18 August 2009 2.44pm
But it's bonkers! They might as well just make it up.
Tuesday 18 August 2009 2.45pm
beetroot wrote:
But it's bonkers! They might as well just make it up.

Presumably it helps them sleep better at night ;)
Tuesday 18 August 2009 3.55pm
for Balance

Florence Nightingale used the power of statistics to win her case for reform

she proved conditions were so bad that a wounded soldier had less chance of dying if they were just left on the battlefield rather than hospitalised

apparently she was very adept with pie charts
sjh
Thursday 20 August 2009 12.50pm
On the subject of the Focus 'only Lib Dem can beat labour here/Conservatives have no chance' message, for most types of election I suspect that is largely true and if I was campaigning I would be tempted to point this out too. However, I did find it a little irritating when the same argument appeared in the LD campaign leaflets for the recent Euro Elections, because on that instance London votes were counted as a whole region and the LD implication that a vote for the Conservatives cast in Bermonsdey would be wasted was not correct and seemed to me a little devious.
Saturday 15 May 2010 12.42pm
in opposition!
and no job for simon, ahh ...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions