London SE1 community website

£3.95 for a slice of Cheese???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 12 August 2009 8.33am
The Real Greek on Bankside is shocking - from the food to the service, however it was surpassed by its branch in Marylebone when I dined there with colleagues a couple of weeks back.

We were left sitting for almost an hour without having had a drinks order taken, they had run out of at least 5 items, the food took an age to come and when I complained to the manager, I was told that everywhere would be the same because "...it is sunny today". Not an apology, not a jot, just a lousy excuse for a badly organised, poorly run establishment.
Wednesday 12 August 2009 10.12am
I often go past the Real Greek in the morning, sometimes running. I sometimes find it hard to breath with the fumes from ships firing up their engines in the morning, but the cherry on top is the appaling smell of cheap/old cooking oil emanating from the Real Greek. Surely they can afford olive oil?
Wednesday 12 August 2009 10.45am
Their taramasalata isn't bad. But there are so many other places to go locally. If you need to eat near that particular spot, perhaps before going to The Globe, I'd say Tas is a much better option. No connection etc.
Wednesday 12 August 2009 1.22pm
I concur that Tas in New Globe Walk just around the corner is far superior in both quality and quantity. The service is very good as well.
Wednesday 12 August 2009 7.42pm
A little bit of faith has been restored!
After my little moan-up the other day about the west-end bagette bar, (q.v.) I must now give credit where it is due. I was in Victoria today with my daughter, (yes,another one, I've got four,)and we had lunch in a place called 'Eat.' Never been in one of those before, but then I don't get out much. We were there at about one o'clock, so possibly the busiest time of the day, and it was excellent. The place eitself was immaculate, the staff polite and well presented and we were spoilt for choice re food, which was also very well presented. We both filled our boots and I got change out of a tenner. Result!
(Incidentally,it was possibly the best BLT sandwhich I've ever had.)
Monday 17 August 2009 12.35pm
Avoid The Real Greek like the plague - I waited an hour for my food before walking out.

And why go to the Real Greek when Tas is nearby?!?! Any of the Tas outlets (New Globe Walk, Borough High St, the Cut, etc) are WAY BETTER than the RG.

Tas rules!
Monday 17 August 2009 1.56pm
halloumi cheese is a fav of mine. I often eat at Taz & EV http://www.tasrestaurant.com/ and usually have the halloumi to start - they serve up two thick slices with salad just enough for a starter.
Monday 17 August 2009 7.51pm
re lunch in Victoria

i discovered whilst cycling a cobbled pedestrianised short street connecting the top of Horseferry rd and Victoria st - Strutton Ground

its choc full of different lunch places
about 3 bakeries - large baguettes ~ 1 50
above average Chinese all you can eat ~ 5 00
cappucino 80p (last year)
theres also Sushi Pizza a chip shop a cafe and more
and theres even a market stall serving hot French food

i think it must be lunch central for the local workers
Monday 17 August 2009 8.53pm
I agree: the Real Greek on Bankside is a total rip-off and he service is shocking. I went with my sister when she visited London and we had a selection of dishes... The food took ages to come, the waiter was only really interested in getting us to order another bottle of wine and the bill came to 72!

Sadly, it was much the same in Covent Garden when I went there last year and I will not be going to any of the branches again. Avoid at all costs and head off to TAS for good value food and service.
jpm
Monday 17 August 2009 9.52pm
funnily enough, i've just come back from The Real Greek and suddenly come across this post.

I ordered the halloumi. One slice. Small. and rather unsatisfying.

Fortunately I was with a friend who isn't much of an eater.

I'm sure the portions have got smaller since I was last there. Mind you, when they're signed up to that Tesco deal - where you get four times as much money by ordering vouchers - I'm sure it's got to come from somewhere.

Yes, disappointed. Sadly disappointed.

@mick4recycle - yes Strutton Ground is fantastic. I used to live just round the corner from there. What we need is bakers of that quality in SE1 - and chippys (though I'm rather fond of the Long Lane fish bar)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions