London SE1 community website

Mugged outside my own flat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Wednesday 26 August 2009 11.12pm
I agree, Edward, but these are the people that are preyed upon, and they only have to catch them once for a damn good earner! I get loads of junk mail from people with exotic sounding names offering the most amazing deals. The latest one being if i give them my bank details they will place twenty million dollars in to my account and give me the address of the person to forward it on to. I can take ten per cent of this for my trouble. Two million dollars for doing next to nothing? Too good to be true? Of course it is! They just want my bank details so that they can empty my bloody account! But, sadly, someone will fall for it, and I repeat, they only have to catch one in a thousand and they've made their dough.
Thankfully I've never forgot my boy scout's motto.......'Be prepared!'
LOL.
Wednesday 26 August 2009 11.51pm
Probably going off topic here... Some time ago somebody used my card details to make an online purchase. The details of the company appeared on my statement. I called the company, who were on the continent, told them who I was and asked them to give me the details of the order, delivery address etc. They refused. It ocurred to me that if I'd pretended to be the thief and asked eg to verify the delivery address, I'd have had more chance to find the thieves. I mentioned this to the lady, and her silence told me I was probably right... Anyway, I got the money back from my bank, but they never explained how this could have happened. Recently I got new terms and conditions from my bank. If money gets stolen from my account, I am responsible for a maximum of 50 myself. Outrageous.
Thursday 27 August 2009 11.44am
I hate sounding like a profit of doom and wish I could say that things must one day get better. But, with more people coming in to the world and less jobs to go around, more and more people will be looking for dishonest ways to make money. Even as I write, scores of dodgy individuals are no doubt beavering away trying to devise the next scam. As technology advances, so does the skill and cunning of the scammers. My future son-in-law had a call recently from his card provider asking if he'd been to Dubai recently, as a purchse from there had been made with his card details. He hadn't, but thankfully it ultimately cost him nothing apart from the initial worry and the agravation of having to have his card and pin changed. We just have keep our wits about us at all times.
Thursday 27 August 2009 11.53am
I find your typo quite apt somehow - "Profit of Doom" sounds like socio-critical goth band :-)
Thursday 27 August 2009 4.30pm
O.M.G! That's what happens when old f**ts like me have a lot to say and type in haste. It should of course read, 'prophet.'I do like your comment though and only wish I was that imaginative! I also wish that was my only error. Having looked back over some of the stuff I've posted I've had to groan at the spelling and typing errors. Still, so long as it's legible I guess it's acceptable.
(Notice I said 'legible.' I would never go so far as to say 'readable.')
Friday 20 November 2009 4.25pm
When I read your story you made me feel how I changed since I've come to London, basically a lot more cynical if any stranger accosts me in the street for any reason.

I hope you haven't experienced anything similar since August.

I used to live a low rise red brick block of flats by the Oval. One summer morning I awoke to find the flat denuded of portable electrical kit, biciycles and keys and a wooden ground floor kitchen window prop leaning against the bedroom door.

A few days later I saw a couple of black children with my and my (not then) ex bicycles. I demanded them back and they said I'd have to ask their5 dad. So they lead me to a neighbouring block where dad was and I told him I was talking the bikes back and asked him for the rest of my clobber. He denied knowledge of the rest of it course and had the cheek to ask for something for the "kids". I of course refused and said the police would have alternative views.

Anyway I got at least the bikes back. Ho hum to the rest.

Declan
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions