London SE1 community website

London Bridge Tuesday morning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 21 August 2009 8.47am
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, but what's the purpose of testing people's ability to correctly gauge m/c speeds? What brought that test/experiment on?
As part of investigations into why there are so many crashes where cars pull out of junctions into oncoming m/cs. A police biker told me this when I was doing a Bikesafe course a couple of years back. Apparently, in several cases, the car driver said they could see the bike, but didn't think it was coming at the speed it was. This led to some studies where stationary people were asked to judge speed of a car and then a bike, both travelling at same speed. Consistently, the people thought the bike was going slower than the car. It was told to me as a safety point (i.e. I should expect people to perceive my speed wrongly, and should look out for that).

Quote:
Also, as an (ex-)motorcyclist I believe that almost anyone who drives a motorised vehicle can tell e.g. from the speed of gear changes or sound of an engine maybe not the speed a vehicle is travelling at but certainly whether it's adhering to the speed limit.
Possibly, but don't forget that plenty of bikers have deliberately fitted loud exhausts, so they sound like they're going a lot faster than they are. I passed a teen on a 50cc on the way to work this morning with a little scorpion pipe on. Sounded like apocalypse.
...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 21 August 2009 9.56am
James Hatts wrote:
I would really rather that people didn't indulge in speculation about what may or may not have happened in this sort of incident (and/or try to apportion blame).
Thanks.
Indeed, it's also amazing to see how people seek to interpret the picture to suit their own conclusion.

It might be worth pointing out that the Bus is nearly meeting the central reservation, thus block in the whole road. Furthermore it's clear (from a lack of damage to the nearside) that the Bike hit the offside of the Bus.

I suspect if anything it's a lack of care an attention on the part of the bus driver (the Highway Code is a code of practice not law, so whilst it's nice to give way to them it does not mean they're unable to be negligent when pulling out) and a lack of anticipation and planning on the part of the Motorcyclist.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

This thread has been closed
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions