London SE1 community website

Painting of Bermondsey in 1569

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 20 August 2009 7.54am
It's a beautiful painting, do you think it would have been painted from near where southwark bridge is now? I think the land was reclaimed in parts from the river. trying to think of school lessons now, river was shallow thats how they could have ice fairs on it? Would like to see the original now.
Makes you think really, fast food outlets which look like a lot like pizza parlours.
Waiters carrying food outside, tobacco break, dancers, blokes showing off to pretty girls, nothing really changes...
apart from the lady breast-feeding in the street which of course would not be permitted in our namby pamby world.
oh and were those guys carrying large discs of bread? or were they drums?
Thursday 20 August 2009 7.56am
exigo wrote:
Timing!
It's hard to be faster than James....
Thursday 20 August 2009 9.07am
I think Southwark Bridge area is too far west, Jan, going by the view of the Tower. History pages on the Courage Brewery site say it's a fete in Horsleydown.
Thursday 20 August 2009 1.00pm
It can't be St John's Horselydown (or Horsleydown?) as that was built in the 18th C. It does not look like any of the pictures of Bermondsey Abbey that I've seen. In any case the picture is dated after the closure of the monastries and it would not have been politic to show it, even if it was still in use (which I doubt as it seemed to fall into disrepair very quickly after 1535).

St Olaves is a possibility, or else it could be St Mary Overie, now Southwark Cathedral - the shape looks good for that, I think. In that case the fair is largely on the site of Borough Market!

Failing that, is the artist just being inventive?
Thursday 20 August 2009 1.44pm
Hollar's 'long view of London' panorama supports the St Olaves theory to some degree, with the church looking very similar apart from the addition of a small bell tower on top and the housing looking very similar. This was produced in 1647.

Image here

Unfortunately I can't find a better colour image online. But looking at our print at home I'd say this was very likely.
Thursday 20 August 2009 1.55pm
Possel. I think it is Horselydown. It was the name of the area long before the church. The plan in the link I posted is dated 1544.
Thursday 20 August 2009 2.51pm
Could the church be the first St Mary Magdalen rather than Bermondsey Abbey - which I think was demolished as early as 1545.
Thursday 20 August 2009 3.53pm
That was my first thought, Lang Rabbie, but it doesn't seem far away enough.
Friday 21 August 2009 7.35am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Could the church be the first St Mary Magdalen rather than Bermondsey Abbey - which I think was demolished as early as 1545.

It doesn't look like it, judging by the prints which hang in St Mary Magdalen.
Friday 21 August 2009 7.40am
beetroot wrote:
Possel. I think it is Horselydown. It was the name of the area long before the church. The plan in the link I posted is dated 1544.

I think it's Horselydown as well, but you get ten times more hits on Google for "St John Horsleydown" than for "St John Horselydown"! I guess in the 16th C no-one really cared.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions