London SE1 community website

Last day of bendies on the 521

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 1 September 2009 8.37am
I got on a packed 453 in London road a while ago and some inspectors got on at the next stop-the bus then emptied. Even if you travel on a 453 of a weekend no one swipes their cards and there is not too many commuters around.

I too would love to know how much revenue on these routes increases when the bendy bus goes- and I also know lots of people who never bother to pay and call them the free bus
Tuesday 1 September 2009 9.38am
The fare dodgers dream - the Free Bus now has an entry in the Urban Dictionary.

Of course folks are going to teat them as free buses - it's human nature!
Tuesday 1 September 2009 11.56am
Boss St Bloke wrote:

I wouldn't say it was human nature, it's more of reflection on England; people wouldn't fare dodge in Tokyo or Berlin to anywhere near the same extent.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 12.21pm
Jonathan K wrote:
people wouldn't fare dodge in Tokyo or Berlin to anywhere near the same extent

What proof do you have for that statement Jonathan?
Tuesday 1 September 2009 12.30pm
I never ever swipe on the Bendy buses, because I have a monthly bus pass. I bet people thing I am a fare-dodger, though.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 12.58pm
No empirical proof I'm afraid; just having lived in/visited those places you develop an understanding of what is and isn't socially acceptable. There's no way a self-checking ticketing system would be referred to as a "free bus" in Tokyo for example as the vast majority of people there are more honest/foolish (delete as applicable according to your own philosophy) and would pay for each journey.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 4.01pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:

Is there any proof for this statement either?
Tuesday 1 September 2009 4.10pm
Well, let's see now - perhaps that's why the Bendy is known as the "Free Bus"?

But don't take my word for it, let's do a Google to find some proof for you...

Yep, seems like I have some proof - 1,420 different websites to be exact - or am I making this up?
Tuesday 1 September 2009 4.25pm
It's quite obvious... people wait for the bendy buses and cram into them, even when regular double deckers that share part of the same route arrive earlier.

I dislike using them just for the fact of how busy they are... and yeah, swiping my oyster on them when no one else does feel strange.

In the end, as a daily user of the bus system it comes down to pathetic policing of people's travel cards. In my 2.5 years in London I have only seen a ticket inspector once. On the best service I've experienced, when I lived in Switzerland, you'd see them regularly and they'd put the fear of god into everyone... and if you were caught, they'd almost drag you to a cash machine and make you pay the fine.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 5.16pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Well, let's see now - perhaps that's why the Bendy is known as the "Free Bus"?
But don't take my word for it, let's do a Google to find some proof for you...

Yep, seems like I have some proof - 1,420 different websites to be exact - or am I making this up?

I was actually more interested in your original use of the word "teat".
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions