London SE1 community website

Last day of bendies on the 521

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Tuesday 1 September 2009 6.24pm
Ah yes, sorry, now I feel like a right old thrupenny bit!

(I think my keyboard iz borken)
Tuesday 1 September 2009 7.59pm
so, i've seen the "new" buses today. the whole thing is a joke. passengers can still board at both doors, and the driver will not bat an eyelid if nobody swipes - it's still a free bus, but a smaller free bus so more people crammed in and less chance of an inspector being able to get on and check the fraudsters ! i don't understand this, where is the logic? it's pathetic.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 11.40pm
I used the new 521 today - there are hardly any seats! The bus wasn't very full when I got on but would be an absolute nightmare with 50-odd people straphanging. The one seat designated for disabled people is quite a distance from either door, all the other seats are raised up on steps - no good for people like me.
Wednesday 2 September 2009 8.57am
perhaps the real answer is to have conductors on the bendy bus routes-i would think if you had one they would pay for themselves with the non payment they would stop
Wednesday 2 September 2009 11.03am
Well Boris promised to get rid of the bendy-buses and it seemed to have been a popular pledge and the people elected him. So we cant complain that he is doing what he said he would. I always thought the rationale was poor though. The bendy-buses seemed to work well on busy routes like the 521. I've been on bendy-buses a few times when they have been inspected, there have always been a few fare evaders but never a significant proportion.
Wednesday 2 September 2009 1.45pm
I suspect most people who ranted against Bendy-buses never actually used them. From a passengers perspective they are pretty nice buses.
Wednesday 2 September 2009 3.11pm
Free bus or no free bus, the bendies have to go.

1) They take up too much road space so if they happen to get caught in a jam across a junction, vehicles travelling in the other direction can't get around them, causing double the traffic jam in a city that's already congested.

2) When they pull in to a bus layby there is often no room for other buses to pull in behind them, often causing a back up of other buses in the street, causing further congestion to other traffic and frustrating the buses' passengers who can see their bus in the queue. This is certainly the case at the bus stop in E&C. There is no point in having a bendy bus that is quick for people to get on and off if it delays all the other bus routes.

3) Because of the limited seating and the often crowded nature of the bendies, I find that more aggravation and aggressive behaviour occurs on them as passengers 'get in each others faces' (although, granted, most of my experience is from the bendy services that go through Peckham), and this aggravation often gets out of control because the driver has no idea what's going on at the back of the bus. I've been on a couple of bendy bus journeys on which a full blown brawl has erupted and the driver has driven on oblivious to what's happening behind him.
Wednesday 2 September 2009 4.58pm
Quote:
Because of the limited seating and the often crowded nature of the bendies

but the new buses have even fewer seats and will be more crowded! I agree that they were unsuitable for routes such as the 12 and the 453, but they were ideal for the inter-station routes such as the 521.
Zoe
Wednesday 2 September 2009 7.25pm
Why haven't they replaced them with double deckers? I don't understand that at all. It's either got to be three times as many or double deckers.
Wednesday 2 September 2009 7.29pm
They can't use double-deckers on the 521 because it runs through the Strand underpass.

For the 521 They have increased the number of vehicles (and drivers) required each day from 19 to 31.

There are so many buses now that they can't fit them all in at Waterloo Garage in Cornwall Road so some are based in Mandela Way.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions