London SE1 community website

Kids eating in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 9 September 2009 2.00pm
Trevor wrote:
Gwynaethva - if children were only ever taken to Saturday/Sunday morning screaming sessions at Giraffe - then what's the message here to the kids?
That it's ok to scream in restaurants.

What's the definition of child-friendly? Del Aziz have highchairs so that's child friendly enough for me.

Sorry but I think that your comment about a 'message to the kids' isn't entirely relevant to this thread. I'm not in a restaurant to send any message to any kids.

For most of us, a meal out is a luxury and I usually just want to enjoy the rare opportunity to have a meal out in peace.

So maybe it's more a message to the parents that the people posting in this thread are trying to get through. After all, children can't help where their parents take them, they'll generally behave as they want to, wherever they are taken.

My view is and has always been - feel free to go to any restaurant with your kids but be considerate for other diners and try and be out by the time that the other 'adult' diners come in for dinner.

I am afraid that I am unqualified to judge what a 'child-friendly' restaurant is.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 2.21pm
Gwynaethva - i'm not suggesting that you are personally sending any message. What I am sugessting is that if kids were only ever exposed to restaurants like Giraffe then they would probably associate that what's acceptable in Giraffe is acceptable in any restaurant.

I'm sure that most parents reading this thread do sympathise with the disturbance their kids can cause.

As for the 'high-noon' get out of town by... comment - well I don't know where to start.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 2.32pm
Trevor wrote:
Ivanhoe - good on you for making sure restaurants guests behave properly - a sort of restaurant SuperNanny. If you're in a restaurant with parents of misbehaving children then pull up a chair - i'm sure they'd love to hear your advice on child rearing.

I wouldn't presume to tell anyone how to rear a child.

All I'm saying is that my upbringing, and subsequent experience, means that I think it's better to speak up in a situation like that than to sit there and say nothing.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 3.04pm
Ivanhoe - I don't necessarily disagree. How's that working out for you?
Wednesday 9 September 2009 3.48pm
I like to think my children are well-behaved, at least as much as I'd expect other people's kids to be when the missus and I go for a rare just-the-2-of-us meal. That's why I can get quite angry at the looks some people give you when you enter a restaurant with children - as if you brought in a turd... Some people are totally intolerant and just seem to wait for a chance to let their bad mood, or their indiscriminate dislike for children or whatever it is get the better of them.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 4.19pm
To be honest, I feel the same about children as I do about live bands in restaurants in the evening...

It all depends on the band, just as it depends on the children. Some bands are great, just as some children are great. But it only takes one bad band or one child running amok to ruin the atmosphere in an otherwise peaceful restaurant.

Unfortunately, people being people, tend to remember bad experiences rather than good ones, which is possibly why some people aren't particularly welcoming when they see small children being brought along.

I was in Del Aziz last Wednesday and there was a band setting up when we arrived and so I immediately asked if I could sit as far away as possible... I just didn't know how good or bad they were going to be and so I'd rather sit as far away as I can, just to be safe and away from any possible caterwauling!
Wednesday 9 September 2009 8.44pm
Honestly most parents are mortified if their children misbehave in a pleasant peaceful environment. It's a rare minority who allow their kids to let rip at full throttle with no concern.

Del Aziz does welcome children - Riverside Parents and Borough Babies were given 50% off deals to bring their kids to the restaurant...they want the custom. Yet not providing kids menus or doing small portions is missing a trick. Half the fun for a little one of feeling grown up and learning how to behave appropriately in a restaurant is having a menu and picking out your choices. It doesn't have to be burgers or nuggets. And charging adult prices for a 3 year old's drink is silly.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 9.32pm
when I was a kid, we didn't eat out anywhere, unless it was a picnic. We were very well behaved too.

why do so many families go to restaurants all the time, what's happened to cooked meals at home. A lazy and throw away society in which kids learn that food is all quick and ready made.

bring out the kiddies sure, but when they are noisy, expect someone who is also paying for the priviledge of a ready made meal and nice ambience, to get a tad narked.

By not watching your kids and teaching them respect of others, you are in the wrong. but what generally happens, is that the innocent quiet and respectful diner with no kids, is yelled at by said parents, when trying to ask for the kids to stop running about. So you get on the defensive, when truthfully you know you are just being a lazy parent.

it beggers belief really.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 10.29pm
Bloggie wrote:
By not watching your kids and teaching them respect of others, you are in the wrong. but what generally happens, is that the innocent quiet and respectful diner with no kids, is yelled at by said parents, when trying to ask for the kids to stop running about. So you get on the defensive, when truthfully you know you are just being a lazy parent.
it beggers belief really.

No one has defended allowing kids to run around unchecked in restaurants, but even the most well-behaved kids can have their moments.

I get a tad narked at the zero tolerance attitude that seems to favour children being seen but not heard, being allowed only in certain types of restaurants and making sure they're out of there before the 'adults' arrive. Children aren't some kind of social disease that should be hidden way from polite society.

I somehow seem to have failed to get this across, - probably something to do with my lazy parenting style.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 10.41pm
Trevor wrote:
I get a tad narked at the zero tolerance attitude that seems to favour children being seen but not heard, being allowed only in certain types of restaurants and making sure they're out of there before the 'adults' arrive. Children aren't some kind of social disease that should be hidden way from polite society.

Well put, I couldn't agree more.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions