London SE1 community website

Conman fleecing public money Alert!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Tuesday 15 September 2009 11.21pm
I had something similar with the police a few years back. I had my credit file sent to me and noticed that someone at a previous address was trying to gain credit in my name , they had made several loan and credit card applications .They had also left or re-added my name to the electoral roll at that address. I assume they had got my name from mail that had gone to my old address. I contacted the police who said there was nothing they could do , as the person hadn't actually managed to get the loans, so hadn't actually broken any laws ???

i pointed out that this person was attemtping to commit fraud to which they just directed me to a website about internet security ???

Seemed very strange how someone can be allowed to keep making fraudelent applications using my details , wrecking my credit history and not a thing could be done about it !

I contacted the electoral roll people at the council for that area , had my name removed from the address (turns out the person at the address HAD put my name down as still living there ) , and then contacted experian (the credit people that banks and the like use to check your credit history) and had a password added to my credit file , with a note attatched highlighting that someone had been trying to gain credit using my details
Wednesday 16 September 2009 12.20am
The police do give the overwhelming impression of being purely decorative these days.

And noisy of course.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 9.27am
It's so depressing to read and write this stuff. This is not the world I was born or brought up in and, being a father and a grandfather, I fear for the the future of it. There have always been crooks and vilains and always will be. Nobody wants a plolice state, but we do expect the police to recognise right from wrong and protect us accordingly. If things go on the way they are it will only cause more work for the police not less. There are plenty of people out there who, out of sheer frustration, will take the law in tio their own hands, and who could blame them.
Thursday 17 September 2009 10.44am
My daughter had a phone call from the police yesterday and from the reg plate number she gave them they have traced the taxi driver and it turns out that he is un-licenced.
There are of course genuine taxi firms in our area with logos and phone numbers displayed on the sides of their vehicles. But it now transpires that my daughter's driver just had the sign, 'Taxi,' on top of his car. No phone number, no company logo. So, had there been an accident, he would not have been insured. My daughter has had a quiet ticking off from me and will be wiser next time. In mitigation, she had just finished a long day's work and an hour and a half's commute. It was raining heavilly, she was tired and she just wanted to get home. So I couldn't be too hard on her. But it did put a shiver up my spine that this bogus guy could have been on the taxi rank for other purposes other than making money. He could just have been waiting for a young woman who needed a taxi. Good people, especially you ladies out there, do be careful with taxis if they are anything other than the good old London black cabs.
Thursday 17 September 2009 11.16am
TFL offer a service to locate numbers of one taxi and two licensed minicab firms, in the area you are texting from.

Details here.

Might be worth getting your daughter to store that on her phone.
Thursday 17 September 2009 11.21am
Thanks for that BSB. I will pass it on.
Thursday 17 September 2009 3.57pm
I've used that service before, it's really good.
Tuesday 11 May 2010 12.02am
Just wanted to mention a woman I've seen twice now around the GLA building asking for money. She looks to be about 7 months pregnant, and is nicely, if casually dressed and presented (ie not to make generalisations but doesn't look like a scammer!).

She came up to me a few fridays nights ago and said that she had lost her wallet and was trying to get home to Stevenage. Very apologetic and well spoken, said she had been walking from liverpool street station. She was very good at giving the impression that I was the only person she'd asked and that this was a one-off.

I'm very wary of giving money to anyone, so I pointed her in the direction of London Bridge station and said she should talk to the british transport police and they would be able to help her get home. She got evasive and said that they wouldn't help her without photo id, and I replied that the police wouldn't leave a pregnant woman stranded in london on a friday night, and she just shrugged and walked off.

So, imagine my lack of surprise to see her this evening being handed a note by a middle-aged man outside M&S who'd obviously fallen for her story. I do feel bad for not saying anything, but I was wary of confronting a scammer by myself (especially if she's not working by herself), and he'd already handed over the money by the time I got near them and I figured she'd not give refunds!

So I hope no one else gets taken in, or at least she finally gets that money to get to stevenage!
Tuesday 11 May 2010 2.12pm
The pregnant woman scammer also operates on the North side of Tower Bridge.
She has very dirty teeth.
Tuesday 11 May 2010 6.15pm
I think that might be a different one, southeastone. If it's the one I've seen she's been pregnant for a few years now.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions