London SE1 community website

Conman fleecing public money Alert!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Tuesday 11 May 2010 11.27pm
southeastone wrote:
The pregnant woman scammer also operates on the North side of Tower Bridge.
She has very dirty teeth.

Have seen her on the Cut before. her on one side of the road trying to get money out of people outside the young vic and her "partner" hovering around on the other side of the road.

They obviously made a few quid as they then went into the costcutters and re-appeared a few mins later with a bottle of cider ......oh and she must have given birth in there as well as she was no longer pregnant when she came out.....
Wednesday 12 May 2010 10.32pm
Fidelli wrote:
Just wanted to mention a woman I've seen twice now around the GLA building asking for money. She looks to be about 7 months pregnant, and is nicely, if casually dressed and presented (ie not to make generalisations but doesn't look like a scammer!).
She came up to me a few fridays nights ago and said that she had lost her wallet and was trying to get home to Stevenage. Very apologetic and well spoken, said she had been walking from liverpool street station. She was very good at giving the impression that I was the only person she'd asked and that this was a one-off.

I'm very wary of giving money to anyone, so I pointed her in the direction of London Bridge station and said she should talk to the british transport police and they would be able to help her get home. She got evasive and said that they wouldn't help her without photo id, and I replied that the police wouldn't leave a pregnant woman stranded in london on a friday night, and she just shrugged and walked off.

So, imagine my lack of surprise to see her this evening being handed a note by a middle-aged man outside M&S who'd obviously fallen for her story. I do feel bad for not saying anything, but I was wary of confronting a scammer by myself (especially if she's not working by herself), and he'd already handed over the money by the time I got near them and I figured she'd not give refunds!

So I hope no one else gets taken in, or at least she finally gets that money to get to stevenage!

Begging is an offence, call the police...
Monday 21 February 2011 2.22pm
Longranger wrote:
Ajyap,thanks for sharing this...
My partner returned home after a night out at approx 1.30am (Sunday morning) He was approached by similar guy on Long Lane by Tesco's (I showed him the picture and he assured me that it was not the same guy so maybe they are part of a group/gang)

The guy said his car was clamped with all the chickens from the restaurant (Simple India) inside it and the owner is on his way, but needs to empty the chickens and put them in the fridge etc. He then said that the clampers are on the way to release the car but he's 20 short. My partner being the nice guy that he is gave the guy 40!! (He did get a good telling off from me)

My partner said he saw no car and that the guy said it was parked a good distance away.

Before leaving 40 richer the guy said to call the restaurant at anytime and they will arrange for a free meal along with the 40 back. Needless to say neither of us called the restaurant as i knew immediately that it was part of a scam.
Tuesday 2 August 2011 4.22pm
Oo I am so making a facebook page on this, to warn others, he seems to use same story.
Thursday 4 August 2011 2.13am
made me cringe the other day as i walked over westminster bridge and saw 4 groups of eastern european guys fleecing tourists out of by playing the 3 cups and a ball trick

i watched one guy fleeced out of around 100 ! , wanted to warn some of the people watching who were digging through there purses and wallets for 10/20 notes that it was a con , but most didnt seem to speak much english

luckily someone must have contacted the police or they were seen on CCTV as a shout went up from one of them and they all ran off towards parliment square
Thursday 4 August 2011 6.28am
southeastone wrote:
The pregnant woman scammer also operates on the North side of Tower Bridge.
She has very dirty teeth.
beetroot wrote:
I think that might be a different one, southeastone. If it's the one I've seen she's been pregnant for a few years now.
I think it's the same one...seen her recently too she's been pregnant for around 4 years... (NOT she is a scammer...Cushion!)works though doesn't it? we'd all take pity on a pregnant lady...

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 4 August 2011 7.51am
ninja999 wrote:
made me cringe the other day as i walked over westminster bridge and saw 4 groups of eastern european guys fleecing tourists out of by playing the 3 cups and a ball trick
i watched one guy fleeced out of around 100 ! , wanted to warn some of the people watching who were digging through there purses and wallets for 10/20 notes that it was a con , but most didnt seem to speak much english

luckily someone must have contacted the police or they were seen on CCTV as a shout went up from one of them and they all ran off towards parliment square

I just view this as fair game... a fool and their money, etc.

There's a big differences between people's greed, which is why they fall for the 3 ball gambling game, and good hearted people trying to help pregnant / desperate people.
Thursday 4 August 2011 9.02am
Yep. Balls and cups is as old as the pyramids.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 5 August 2011 12.02am
ninja999 wrote:

I can scarecely believe it's worth their while, the only people I've ever seen make a bet were obviously part of the scam!
Saturday 6 August 2011 1.01pm
I'm with Ivanhoe and Se1urker. Maybe it's worth mentioning that the traditional way of making most money on the cup and ball trick is to pick onlookers' pockets while their eyes are on the game.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions