London SE1 community website

Conman fleecing public money Alert!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7
Saturday 6 August 2011 3.51pm
[/quote]
I can scarecely believe it's worth their while, the only people I've ever seen make a bet were obviously part of the scam![/quote]

Same here, I've never actually seen anyone who didn't seem to be part of the scam actually parting with any money. Of course these scams are not unique to London, I have seen them try it on the continent as well.
Wednesday 24 August 2011 7.24pm
I believe the same guy was hassling people on Great Dover Street / outside the Dover Castle earlier this evening.

As I walked home a guy who looks very similar to the pictures in this thread was hassling a young Chinese guy for cash with a sob story. He was persistent, but alas I didnt put two and two together that it was him until I got home.

"Help a desperate, local, man" was the phrase he used.

He was wearing jeans and a brown leather jacket, c. 35, and of Pakistani extraction with receding / short black hair.

Does anyone know if the police are aware.. ie, if someone sees him would the police come and arrest him?
Wednesday 24 August 2011 7.43pm
Come and arrest him? Oh dear, oh dear; those were the days. Sorry to be cynical, but if my own experiences are anything to go by, 'petty crime' such as the above, is way down our overworked police force's pecking order.
(And I'm not being sarcastic, just quoting a fact.)

One moment while I climb on to my soap box.....

The reason why our police force is so overworked is because there is no respect for the law.
The reason there is no respect for the law is that the paltry punishments dished out are not an adequate deterrent. Until the whole shebang is put in to a bag and given a darn good shake-up, and 'Human Rights' are re-designed to protect the victims of crime, rather than the perpetrators of it, the situation will continue; ad infinitum.

End of.
Wednesday 24 August 2011 9.19pm
Yeah I actually considered editing that bit... but couldnt be arsed..
Wednesday 24 August 2011 10.16pm
'Lurker,
Sadly, I think we're all starting to give up.
There are too many people in posititons of power today who are merely paying lip service to social problems in order to feather their nests and prolong their priveledged positions for as long as possible. Has anything actually changed since Tony Blair's 'Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime' speach? I think not.

Mr Cameron.......Are you following in the footsteps? Are you really any different to your predecessors?
It's your call. Time will tell.

Yours sincerely,
A.Political.
Thursday 25 August 2011 9.56am
I am going to flag this thread to the community police team and see what they say and if they are aware of the problem.
Thursday 1 September 2011 12.52pm
Longranger wrote:
Longranger wrote:
Ajyap,thanks for sharing this...
My partner returned home after a night out at approx 1.30am (Sunday morning) He was approached by similar guy on Long Lane by Tesco's (I showed him the picture and he assured me that it was not the same guy so maybe they are part of a group/gang)

The guy said his car was clamped with all the chickens from the restaurant (Simple India) inside it and the owner is on his way, but needs to empty the chickens and put them in the fridge etc. He then said that the clampers are on the way to release the car but he's 20 short. My partner being the nice guy that he is gave the guy 40!! (He did get a good telling off from me)

My partner said he saw no car and that the guy said it was parked a good distance away.

Before leaving 40 richer the guy said to call the restaurant at anytime and they will arrange for a free meal along with the 40 back. Needless to say neither of us called the restaurant as i knew immediately that it was part of a scam.

Just got done by this one, so annoyed with myself but was quite 'cheerful' at the time. 40, same clamping story, said he recognised me from the Bengal Clipper that he 'owned'. I did go in to see them just in case...you can guess how that conversation went!! I am just too trusting...
Thursday 1 September 2011 4.12pm
Our friend seems to hang around the TBR end of Grange Road quite a lot too. He approached me a few months ago saying he was the owner of a curry house. Before he could even get to his sob story I pointed him in the direction of this thread and told him where to go. He's completely shameless though, rather than going elsewhere he still hung around the same area.
He also tried it on my other half the other day in the same location. This time he was the owner of a cafe. My other half is rather quicker witted than me and replied that he knew the owner of the cafe and suggested that he moved on!
Thursday 26 January 2012 1.05am
Have a horrible feeling my girlfriend just got fleeced outside Starbucks by London Bridge tube tonight around 12.30am. Car clamped scam. Assume it's the same guy. P Rather worringly he recognised her too and pulled a line about being from the off licence on Bermondsey St which she walks past a lot.

She's really skint too.

Not cool.

If only she was as cynical and mistrustful as me...

Anyway just posting to warn others..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions