London SE1 community website

Conman fleecing public money Alert!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Wednesday 9 September 2009 9.31pm
I humbly suggest that the majority of new immigrants who live in council housing are subletting from the tenants! They certainly have no right to council housing through the normal channels.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 9.51pm
another scam that many people still fall for is this one :

You get approached in somehwere like a supermarket carpark and some guy with the gift of the gab approaches you stating him and his mate work for a large company that sells Hi-fi's / laptops/ speakers etc etc

he tells you he has a few laptops or hi-fis left over from the days deliverys and he is gonna sell them at a knock down price ..say 100 for a new top of the range laptop ....

You give him the money and he gives you a brand new laptop complete with a bag and tells you to put it away quickly so no-one sees.

When you get home all excisted about this great deal you open the laptop bag to find a bag with two bricks in ....
Thursday 10 September 2009 12.47am
Ajyap,

I'm sorry you have been conned.
I was caught out this way myself a few times when I first moved to Bermondsey.

I've learnt a bit since then and I try to tell the difference between the genuine stories and the cons but it's impossible.

All I can say is don't feel like fool. You were trying to be decent and help someone and it will be a very sad day when people give up on each other.
Not that I bother much these days when I get a hard luck story round here but I hope one day I'll be able to do little things to help people without the fear of being ripped off.

Possibly I'll be living somewhere else by then.

Maybe the moon...
Thursday 10 September 2009 12.57am
beetroot wrote:
Jan the old one wrote:
I think a total ban on immigration for a year or two would help the housing depts.
then have old fashioned waiting list according to the years you are on it , not according to ' need' where if you are ' fruitful' and go forth and multiply etc... would not help..

There was a program on Radio 4 about a year ago I think about all the small businesses, including small farms that only survive because of immigrants. British people won't work for them.

Well yes, that;s because the work and the money are SO lousy that you can't pay for a decent roof over your head and only temporary workers sleeping however many to a room will put up with the conditions.

It's an extreme.

If we had better tax laws where say, anyone earning under 12K a year didn't pay any tax at all, much less at emergency level which is what you get on these things, we might get further with filling the seriously crappy jobs.
Thursday 10 September 2009 1.38am
ajyap wrote:
Thank you all so much for your advice. This is the first time I've been conned. I always thought I was street-wise enough.
I will be more careful next time.

I cannot imagine any of the previous generation of Bemondsey dwellers falling for this hogwash.
There are two idioms that lend themselves to ajyap's situation, the nicer one is "he must have seen you coming" the other is is "more blank you."
Thursday 10 September 2009 7.07am
Davies wrote:
Ajyap,
All I can say is don't feel like fool. You were trying to be decent and help someone and it will be a very sad day when people give up on each other.

Hear, hear.
Thursday 10 September 2009 8.54am
Beetroot I think the saddest thing I saw recently on television was a programme about illegal immigrants, where poor elderly asians were being fleeced by some ****, they were working on a salad farm I think, the owner was paying a 'middleman' and say instead of earning 6 pounds an hour they were only being paid 3...and he was a fellow countryman!
I think the main point I was trying to make earlier is years ago people Were put on the housing waiting list, which was just that, I think the only way anyone could get moved up was to have an extremely bad medical problem.
As a married couple we were very lucky to have two rooms in Guiness Buildings, we had one child and four years later we were given a two bedroomed flat, then we had the luxury of another child.
I think had the buildings not been demolished we still would have been there.
And when I say two rooms, it was just that! one tiny bedroom, and a living room/kitchen/...the toilet was shared out on the landing, which also had a small room where you boiled your clothes in an ancient boiler!
and as for taxation of the less well off Davies, I could rant for ever...:-)
Thursday 10 September 2009 10.59am
Similar start in life to me, Jan. I lived in a Victorian tenement in Danson Road, Walworth and we had just the two rooms. Until the age of ten I shared a bedroom with my Mum and Dad. The place had no electricity, just gas mantles, and no hot water. There was a communal scullery on the groung floor where the wives did their weekly wash in the old copper boiler. We were on the re-housing list for years, but nothing seemed to be moving. We lived on the ground floor initially, but in 1951, when I was four, we swapped with my Uncle Bill and his family who lived on the top floor because he had a bad back. What my parents weren't told was that the swap counted as a move and sent us right back to the foot of the re-housing list. We finally got out of their in 1957.
Thursday 10 September 2009 12.44pm
Jan, going completely off topic but do you mean the Guinness estate on Snowsfields?
Thursday 10 September 2009 12.59pm
Ah Chalkey, we were posh we 'ad electricty in guinness bldgs.! And we ' ad BRW...British Relay Wireless...a gadget on the wall with a single arrow shaped knob that you could select Medium or Long wave I think and a speaker? Fred put in a small gas ascot that supplied hot water on tap, or the bowl..

gas mantles, we had them in our old house, no electric at all...and those mantles were so delicate..4d each i think..

How rotten for your Mum and Dad to do a good turn then find it backfired...

My mother in law used to say she'd be carried out in 'er box from guinness's as she had been on the list for so long.
We all moved together in flats and the poor soul died 20 weeks later. she'd been living in the buildings for over 30 years...:-(
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions