London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 17
Thursday 1 October 2009 1.42pm
Tattie wrote:
Economist back on track for weekly delivery - because they have taken the contract away from the Royal Mail and gone for hand delivery. In addition, they have extended my subscription by the number of issues that were delivered late. Must cost a pretty penny, but is probably cheaper than using Royal Mail.
Anyone else notice how the advertising stuff that no one is waiting for always arrives promptly, even during a strike?

Hi
Did you get anything from Economist or did you have to call them? I've not heard anything about this and my economist has been coming at all sorts of random times rather than the usual Fridays.
Thursday 1 October 2009 3.18pm
Just called The Economist - no mention of hand delivery but they will extend any subscriptions by double the number of missed copies because of the strike. I haven't had the last three copies at all - if I never see them then I'll know that the backlog has just been chucked away.
Thursday 1 October 2009 3.27pm
We had our normal delivery at my office this morning, and shortly after another one which consisted solely of parcels. It was delivered by two postmen who said they'd been drafted in from Essex to sort out the backlog. One item being delivered was a parcel that should have been delivered 3 weeks ago! I'd hate to be the one sorting that massive backlog at Nine Elms...
Thursday 1 October 2009 4.17pm
Tattie wrote:
Anyone else notice how the advertising stuff that no one is waiting for always arrives promptly, even during a strike?

that's because the advertising stuff is sent via TNT or DX post which isn't as susceptible to industrial action because they look after their staff.
Thursday 1 October 2009 4.54pm
Today we spotted two rather lost looking guys in normal clothes but with neon vest things over the top looking at a map for about 5 mins on Abbey street....Oh yes I forgot to mention -They had a big post trolley with them!!!!

Not sure what's worse, no post delivery or post that is sent out with people who don't have a clue.....They never came to ours so obviously got lost on the way with all my missing post.
Friday 2 October 2009 2.09pm
Any idea of when this will be over? I'm really worried that I am not going to get my mail before I move from the UK in 2 weeks.
Friday 2 October 2009 2.25pm
Great to find a box of mail today - except 5 items were for two different people in another block!

So, now I will play postman/person/whatever one is supposed to call them, and re-deliver. 3 of the items were Birthday cards, I guess.

So, even when it is delivered, it isn't delivered properly!

I received a hospital appointment confirmation..... for last Tuesday. Just as well I already knew.

Words fail me but, if pushed.......:p
Friday 2 October 2009 7.50pm
No mail again today. I've gotten 2 pieces of mail in the last 2 weeks. I'm near tears. :(
Friday 2 October 2009 8.32pm
You want regular deliver?
pay up!
Saturday 3 October 2009 11.06am
Just got my new driver's license in the post the other day. Shame.... It expired last month!

haha
Current: 10 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions