London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 17
Saturday 3 October 2009 11.35am
I finally had three out of the four missing parcels delivered today (two delivered shortly after 7am this morning)! It feels like Christmas! :o)
Monday 5 October 2009 7.11pm
I just checked the two pieces of mail that I had received in the last month. Both were dated in August. I haven't received any mail other than that since September.

I'm getting a bit hysterical. I have medication and a credit card that are expected, and I am moving out of the country in 8 days. Any suggestions? Should I go in to a branch or is it a lost cause?
Monday 5 October 2009 8.22pm
just got a summons from southwark council dated 2 weeks ago , because I failed to act on a letter that they sent 4 weeks ago ( havent got that one yet).

they havent got my letter from 3 weeks ago informing of my change circumstances and address so its all my fault and they have slapped 60 admin fee on to my council tax bill which i must pay before the 16 of the month.

when I rang them today ( 20 mins waiting to get through) was told admin fee is now 120 and must pay full outstanding amount of nearly 700.

this is because of me not acting on the letter they sent 1 week ago ( still havent got it).

I have said its a prob with the mail, drop the admin fees because they are bollocks and I will pay all outstanding by the end of the month.

And guess what , they want this in writing and mailed to them ( at this stage I gave up trying to explain about the problems with the mail.)

so , I will take the morning off work tomorrow, losing income , and will attend a council office and que for god knows how long. simply to confirm in writing my intent of payment and to get receipt of said letter of intent.

hope everyone else has had a nice day
cheers
phil
Monday 5 October 2009 10.47pm
'Going Postal' almost seems a rational reaction.

But not quite yet.
Tuesday 6 October 2009 5.26pm
'Going Postman' more likely - yet again, more mail for another block......but none for me!
Tuesday 6 October 2009 6.17pm
I had a 17 minute phone chat with a very pleasant fellow at the Royal Mail today. He said that mail that was supposed to be delivered on strike days has not been sorted, and they only begin sorting it each day after that day's mail is sorted. He sounded very overwhelmed. At the end he said (after I told him I was trying to get my mail before I move to the US) at least at the Royal Mail they don't "go postal"! Thankful for small blessings, I guess
Tuesday 6 October 2009 8.04pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
Got home Monday p.m. to find a card left at 13.00 to say that a package would be at Mandela Way sorting office, allow 24 hours before coming to collect it.
Went there at 15.00 today, (Tuesday), only to told that it hadn't been brought back yet.
"Why, has the guy been out all day, all night, and most of today since leaving the card yesterday?" I asked.
Fortunately, my attempt at humour didn't appear to annoy him, "Come back Thursday or Friday mate, it MIGHT be here by then," he offered.

Update on collection of my package from Mandela Way.
Went there today, (Friday), at around 12.10 only to be told, "It hasn't come back yet."
"Back from where?" I asked.
"It goes to Nine Elms depot and they are sometimes a bit slow returning it here, give it until the middle of next week !"
Fortunately the package contains, (I think), a couple of ink cartridges for my printer so I'm not desperate for it's arrival, but imagine if it were something that I really needed.
I have no desire to see hundreds of Royal Mail employees lose their jobs but it is not difficult to see why the public would be happy if the delivery of mail was handed over to a more efficient company.

Further update, (same package.)
Went to Mandela Way at 09.35 today, Tuesday 29.09.09 and presented the original card that was left by the mailman on 21.09.09.
Person returned to counter after 3 - 4 minutes and began to say something, I could make out about one word in three.
I apologised, (on reflection a wrong move, maybe he should have apologised), and said "I don't understand what it is that you are saying."
He went away and came back with the manager who said "Let me photocopy the card, put your phone number on it and I'll call you if it comes in."
Yes, he said IF.
I'm getting a bad feeling about this, I can visualise a protracted fight with Royal Mail for re-imbursement of the value of the goods that I'm quite sure now that I'll ever see.

Further still, (and final),update on this saga.

After telephoning PC World re the awaited ink cartridges that are in the disappeared package I received a call from their head office this a.m.
They said that will re-credit my Visa card for the amount that I had paid, and apologised for the sorry incident caused by Royal Mail.
The guy I spoke with said "it is not worth arguing about, or waiting and hoping that the package eventually arrives."
He said that he is making these calls on a daily basis now and that PC World, by responding quickly and decisively to disgruntled on-line customers, hope that those same customers will use a PC World store to buy that which they hadn't received via Royal Mail.
Wednesday 7 October 2009 12.23am
Amazon sent my last book that I ordered by free Royal Mail delivery (est time 3 to 5 days) by some small private courier I've never heard of. It arrived the next day.
Book weighed a ton too.
The previous order I made with them vanished without trace. They sent another one without arguing.

Poor Amazon and all the retailers and people who need the post to survive.
Wednesday 7 October 2009 9.56am
I got my first piece of mail in weeks last night. Granted it was for the previous tenant who has a redirect in place, but at least they are bothering to stop by my building now. ;)
Wednesday 7 October 2009 11.30pm
In the news tonight: Amazon have stopped using Royal Mail and moved to a private courier!

Hoo RaH!
Current: 11 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions