London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 17
Thursday 8 October 2009 11.23am
All posties are working today because they're delivering national strike ballot papers. Radio 4 suggested this morning that a national post strike was likely because then the PO would have to pay overtime over the next few weeks in order to clear backlog and deliver Christmas mail.
Thursday 8 October 2009 1.31pm
After the short-lived luxury of receiving post twice (!) one day last week, now nothing all week. Stupidly bought a replacement power cable for laptop on eBay, where they are much cheaper than PC World and the lot, but forgot it had to travel here via post so probably no laptop use until god knows when for me :(

Got not a lot of sympathy at Santander for late credit card payment either even if I explained that the statement had not arrived because of postal strikes... apparently I still need to remember to pay it every month.

And the private couriers are no better generally, as they can't seem to manage to work out how to get entry to our block, unlike every pizza leaflet delivery boy in south London.
Thursday 8 October 2009 1.37pm
Now there's an idea...

Give all the post to the pizza leaflet delivery boys!

We know they come round at least 3 maybe 4 times a day with the same leaflet to our letter boxes...they could bring a few letters too each time!
Friday 9 October 2009 9.14pm
BBC reported regional walkouts today and the CWU website confirms that SE1 is, of course, one of those areas affected:

http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/postal-strikes-for-w/c-5th-october.html

Followed with the impending national strikes, doesn't look good for getting the backlog shifted anytime soon. Still waiting for a 'guaranteed next day' Special Delivery parcel posted on 18 September, items bought online for which I had the pleasure of paying the delivery charge for.
Saturday 10 October 2009 12.59am
The sooner these dog fekk'n posties drive the royal mail into the ground the better. When that day comes, we will all be using alternative free-market service providers who will, in all likelihood, do a proper job in a reasonable time. What are they thinking, surely - outside of the Royal Mail - they're pretty much unemployable

My only worry is whether I, as taxpayer, will be asked to stump up to make a contribution towards the short-fall in their far-too-generous pension plan.
Tuesday 13 October 2009 7.02pm
I received a letter from the Inland Revenue today, dated the 9th September.
I am also still waiting on 3 packages from as far back as the 10th September.
Tuesday 13 October 2009 9.47pm
I got a Special Delivery letter today which was actually posted yesterday. The postman told me that the only thing getting through consistently is Special Delivery, slightly encouraging except he then went on to tell me that therefore my missing Special Delivery parcel posted 18 September was "definitely gone".
Wednesday 14 October 2009 9.46am
mandela way reached new levels of absurdity today when, after having declared that my mail (which they tried to deliver and then promptly lost on the way back to the sorting office) had "probably" been sent back to the sender. They then offered me a complaint form to mail back to head office. My suggestion that it was unlikely to reach head office did not receive a favourable response.
Wednesday 14 October 2009 11.32am
hi all. have been away for 10 days and arrived home to find:

- TO editions from 17-23 September and 1-7 October, but no sign (yet) of the edition 24-30 September, or the current edition (8-14 October). currently on tenterhooks re. the arrival of the 15-21 October edition ;)

- No sign (yet) of my trip dossier (e-ticket ref. number and other essential info - was going on archaeological site visits, so needed copies of site plans etc.), sent 23 September for a departure on 5 October - luckily, was able to make alternative arrangements. everyone else on the trip, from exotic parts of the city like Wandsworth and Northwood, and then truly far flung places like Surrey, Hertfordshire and Oxfordshire, had all received their dossiers, no problem

- No sign (yet) of one credit card statement but the other had made it through - they're sent within a day of each other around the 24th of the month

Then, my Dad's birthday card, which I sent on 26 September, first class, to arrive before or on 1 October, arrived yesterday (13 October). However, a birthday card sent by someone on my trip on 6 October FROM ITALY to Edinburgh arrived 8 October.

If I didn't think BEFORE the strike that SE1 is the postal "service" Bermuda Triangle, I certainly do now. I'm not prone to laying down curses but - Royal Mail staff: May you live in interesting times, you muppets.
Wednesday 14 October 2009 1.06pm
Thought I'd posted on this earlier but seems to have disappeared. There is yet another regional walkout in London today - 24 hours apparently. The very stop start nature of it all is very disconcerting.
Current: 12 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions