London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 17
Wednesday 21 October 2009 10.50pm
Pops, i had one letter this week, last week i had a letterbox crammed full of stuff after 2 or 3 weeks of nothing, i'm on grange road, so i guess they may be catching up on some of the backlog. either way my personal opinion is bring on some competition, i still can't believe parts (or all) of the country can be held to ransom in this way, in this day and age. it's pathetic. it reminds me of the 1970's (although i hate to admit i remember that era).
mac
Thursday 22 October 2009 11.11am
The only post we've been getting on a very regular basis are Lakeland catalogues. We get at least one a week not including the special christmas catalogues, of which we now have two. Mr Mac has just reported that yet another Lakeland catalogue has just arrived this morning. You got to hand it to them, even on a strike day their catalogues are still appearing!
Thursday 22 October 2009 8.12pm
On day one of the official strike, I've seen more postal activity today than at any point over the last few months. Received post today and mailbox collections being carried out earlier this evening.
Thursday 22 October 2009 10.09pm
No mail in my area today, and that's the first time since the problems started. On some days, up til now, we've had two deliveries on the same day. (Just like the good old days!) On the plus side, less red rubber bands to pick up from my doorstep!
Thursday 22 October 2009 11.24pm
Several items of post received today and yesterday after very little post for the last few weeks. Agency workers? A few magazines have disappeared, probably without trace.
Friday 23 October 2009 9.22am
Just seen a postal van driving up the road. If there are no collections or deliveries today, then what's he up to?
Friday 23 October 2009 11.19am
The vans are moving today - it's deliveries that aren't...

"At 0400 BST on Thursday about 42,000 mail centre staff and drivers up and down the country began a 24-hour strike.

On Friday, about 78,000 delivery and collection workers are expected to walk out. "
Friday 23 October 2009 1.14pm
Is Royal Mail, Southend, a law unto itself? We've just had a delivey! I really can't get my head around whats going on here.
Friday 23 October 2009 3.03pm
Well did get one letter on wednesday 21st Oct , posted from SE1 on the 9th October ......

Luckily i do nearly everything on line , bank , gas, electric , credit card , shopping - although have given up ordering stuff from amazon etc as the items never arrive anymore...
Sunday 25 October 2009 4.24pm
Received yesterday (24 October) in the post: my missing trip dossier (postmarked 23 September) and my credit card statement with 3 days to go before payment was overdue. Anticipating the same problem next month, I've over-paid the amount owed and I did that by telephone. Also, am now "only" missing TO editions from 15-21 and 22-28 October, the others having trickled through (although not in chronological order) in the early part of last week. No sign yet of an Amazon parcel sent 16 October to my work address (also in SE1). What worries me is what I don't know I should have received and haven't ... I also got a letter yesterday from the credit card company saying that they've reviewed my credit limit and would increase it if they didn't hear otherwise from me. Have no idea when that letter was posted, but when I called to decline their kind offer, my credit limit had already been increased, because they hadn't heard from me!! Not a big deal, because the change was in my favour and also easily reversed, but would just encourage everyone to keep an eye on things like direct debits which they've set up with utility companies etc. for any adjustments to the amounts debited. Last year, my electricity supplier randomly doubled the amount it was asking for each month although I certainly wasn't using double the amount of power and only the requirement that they write to me allowed me to head them off at the pass ;) Would be very convenient for the strike to be blamed, wouldn't it, if such a letter were not to be received ...
Current: 14 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions