London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Current: 17 of 17
Sunday 8 November 2009 8.21am
joining MPS stops almost all junk mail. And if you get any after joining you can send it to them and they will deal with it. My only gripe is Virgin Media now, who keep bombarding me after I stupidly checked online if their service was available here :( But as they are addressed To the occupier only way is to return them.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
Tuesday 10 November 2009 9.53am
I just had two posties deliver me one Amazon parcel. Before noon! Talk about customer service!
Tuesday 10 November 2009 10.06am
As I've said before, Royal Mail Southend-on Sea seems to be a law unto itself. We've been lucky in that we have suffered no disruption to our deliveries since the dispute began and, on some days, have had two deliveries. This morning however, I had to scratch my head when I saw two Royal Mail parcel vans drive in to my road at exactly the same time, travelling in opposite directions and both making deliveries. Is doing away with this sort of thing just what the RM mnagaement are on about when they talk about cost saving by improving efficeincy and cutting staff? Then they may have a point! I now feel a little nearerer to knowing where all RM's money goes and why postal charges are so high.
Tuesday 10 November 2009 4.57pm
We had no delivery on Friday, Saturday or Monday even though the strike had been called off and we all know there's stuff in the postal system somewhere for us.

However, while I was on my way to work this morning, I met two very pleasant chaps (both smiled and said hello) with Royal Mail post carts but not in uniform, so I assume agency staff, making their way down the street. So I'm hopeful that some of my missing items are now starting to trickle through - on tenterhooks until I get home tonight ;)
Wednesday 11 November 2009 9.19am
LOADSAPOST! although not all of it ... ;)
Wednesday 11 November 2009 10.00pm
Made an online complaint to the Royal Mail and got about a weeks worth of letters the following day. Which still leaves about a weeks worth and a bunch of parcels but it's a start.
Friday 13 November 2009 1.45pm
This is the reply to my complaint about having received no post for the past couple of weeks and several parcels containing DVD's and books having been lost. I've highlighted the good bit:

"Dear Davies.

Thank you for contacting Royal Mail.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't receive any mail for a number of days.

Of the huge volumes of letters and packets we handle, very few encounter a
problem along their way - but we take every single failure seriously, so
I'm sorry that you've had cause to contact us.

In response to your enquiry, I've been able to take the following action:

. Logged and reported the full details of your complaint
. Checked the service information available to me to ensure there are no
related issues in your area
. Passed these details to the manager of the delivery office.

The delivery office manager has spoken to the postmen and women who deliver
your post and confirms that they are aware of your location and can't think
of any reason why we could not deliver your mail. My colleague assures me
that we deliver all the mail for your area on the day it arrives at the
delivery office, and so can only conclude that we received no mail for your
address during the period in question.

I hope that the action above resolves your enquiry and concludes this
matter: if you have any other concerns though, please contact us again,
quoting reference number 1-1235637067.

Regards

Lauea McCabe
Customer Service Advisor"
Friday 13 November 2009 7.46pm
No post yesterday ... and yet I know there's plenty in the system for me. I suppose what they're saying is saying 'we haven't got it (yet) - it's still in a Nissan hut in Herefordshire with the rest of the backlog' rather than 'it doesn't exist at all'?
Saturday 14 November 2009 1.45am
No, what hey are telling me is that it doesn't exist at all, otherwise why wouldn't they have delivered it?

The only possible reason for not having had any post during the strike is because no one sent me any!

Nice.
Monday 16 November 2009 11.07am
I've had a look at their website and I'm intrigued to know how it would "get you ahead of the queue". It seems to me that the only step it eliminates is the printing out and attaching a stamp bit. The letter is still posted (albeit by someone else):

At the moment, we operate to the following print cycle: Day 0: You send your letter. Day 1: We print your letter. Day 2: We deliver to Royal Mail local office. Day 3: Royal Mail deliver to the door. Our aim will be to print your letter and deliver it to Royal Mail the same day you send it, so it will be delivered by the postman the next day. We hope to soon offer this service for addresses in London, later rolling out to the rest of the country.

The only time saving I can see is that a letter sent from London to Glasgow would be printed and sent nearer to Glasgow if they have a local office there?

carmenes82 wrote:
I tend now to use email as much as possible and also use ViaPost ( http://www.viapost.com ) for letters as although it does not avoid the strike it gets you ahead of the queue (for full disclosure, friend is a founder of the business).
Pages:  PreviousFirst...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Current: 17 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions