London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 17
Wednesday 9 September 2009 5.55pm
I used to subscribe to a weekly newspaper from a national political party - I got sooo fed up getting it on Monday or Tuesday, when my colleagues in the Shires got it on Saturday morning. Cancelled my sub now.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 7.38pm
My post is arriving between 2 and 3 weeks after posting.

Am sure I will not receive my London Film Festival programme before the booking period opens.
Wednesday 9 September 2009 8.44pm
It's sh*t.
Birthday cards arriving after I've seen relatives, Cheques after I've threatened clients, within walking distance of parliament, not some Outer Hebridean croft!
Thursday 10 September 2009 1.11am
My post was non existent for two weeks BEFORE the postal strike. I've had three letters this past month. One of them was registered.

It's rubbish round here at the best of times.

Last time there was a serious = two week postal strike. I lost two weeks worth of post. I believe it was destroyed because when I called the post office to ask about it they denied it had ever existed. So two weeks worth of post just evaporates during a strike. What a surprise!
Thursday 10 September 2009 1.50am
graham wrote:
It's sh*t.
Birthday cards arriving after I've seen relatives, Cheques after I've threatened clients, within walking distance of parliament, not some Outer Hebridean croft!

You'd get better service in an Outer Hebridean Croft!

London is now the most third world city in the first world.
Wherever that is.
Thursday 10 September 2009 2.59pm
Having moved from one part of SE1 to another, adding another level of complexity to the situation, we've not had any post at all for about three weeks. According to the BBC News website, London staff walkouts continuing until Saturday at least.
Thursday 10 September 2009 10.29pm
Davies wrote:
My post was non existent for two weeks BEFORE the postal strike. I've had three letters this past month. One of them was registered.
It's rubbish round here at the best of times.

Last time there was a serious = two week postal strike. I lost two weeks worth of post. I believe it was destroyed because when I called the post office to ask about it they denied it had ever existed. So two weeks worth of post just evaporates during a strike. What a surprise!

Many a true word was said in jest as my mum says. I was born and grew up just outside Stornoway in the Outer Hebrides and the service IS better. When I post something to my mum it arrives the next day or day after and when she posts something to me it always takes much much longer whether theres a strike or not.

I also subscribe to Time Out and used to get really fed up when it arrived a week late, totally pointless. When I phoned TO to whinge they said the Royal Mail prioritises all magazines the same way as junk mail, below second class post even when its very perishable like listings and news, probably some stoopid management decision maybe due to monthlies issuing Ocober in September?
Friday 11 September 2009 10.00am
still no sign of last week's edition of TO and - as of yesterday - still no sign of this week's edition.

spoke to TO yesterday; unfortunately, once it leaves their depot, they don't know where it is, so they can't even tell me which Royal Mail depot to chase/harangue. very frustrating.
Friday 11 September 2009 11.34am
Davies wrote:
Last time there was a serious = two week postal strike. I lost two weeks worth of post. I believe it was destroyed because when I called the post office to ask about it they denied it had ever existed.

The destroyed/pulped question was put to a Royal Mail spokesman by Riz Lateef on the BBC early evening news yesterday, 10.09.09, and was described by him as utter rubbish, just not done.
Friday 11 September 2009 12.14pm
Is there any point posting mail in SE1 to Clapham and N.London at the moment, I have some post to forward on, thanks.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions