London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 17
Tuesday 15 September 2009 6.52pm
JonR - no, because I can't put my computer in my bag to read on the bus, nor is needing to boot up and go online to read an e-mail very handy when I want to quickly check what's on TV ;)

However, it's not that I'm especially obsessed with my TO delivery, rather that's it's a handy benchmark for what effect the strikes are having on deliveries. So something which is supposed to arrive on a Wednesday or Thursday is actually arriving about 5 days late in a 'good' strike week, 9 days late in a 'bad' strike week. Bearing in mind that they're only striking for one or two days at a time, where is the rest of the delay coming from?
Tuesday 15 September 2009 8.44pm
Nicole, alternative carrier? have you never had anything put through your letter box by your postman that bore the logo, 'TNT' or 'DHL'? They pay Royal Mail to deliver their stuff!
Wednesday 16 September 2009 6.42pm
We received some post, some sent 3 weeks ago, on Monday and Tuesday and no delivery at all today. Apparently strikes are continuing across the UK and Royal Mail admit to nine million items stuck in the backlog with six million of them in London.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 10.16pm
My postie is now 'batch dropping'. I get the post for my neighbours one day, then next time the post comes, maybe a few days, maybe a week later, one of my neighbours gets all our mail, it's like we are the unpaid sorters, and last 10 yards delivery service. It's OK, except, one of my neighbours has moved and their place is empty, occasionally someone comes to view his flat, then we get our mail.
South London Stress!
Thursday 17 September 2009 9.14pm
NO POST AGAIN...nothing since one random 'upgrade offer' letter from Carphonewarehouse that arrived on Monday.

I feel like marching over to the sorting office and offering to sort through the mail to find all the missing items I've been waiting weeks for.

I wonder what they would do if everyone who has something missing all turned up at once...

Maybe a 'WE WANT OUR POST' FLASHMOB at Mandela Way sorting office is needed!
Friday 18 September 2009 2.16am
there must be someone out there getting some post - they all pass by my house on the way to their deliveries, ambling along with their trollies full of post, none of it for me!
Friday 18 September 2009 12.03pm
POST...I got post today!....Unfortunately it was two bills for people who haven't even lived here in the past two years!...
Friday 18 September 2009 7.10pm
shoggy wrote:
Maybe a 'WE WANT OUR POST' FLASHMOB at Mandela Way sorting office is needed!

I'm in for the flash mob!!!

I'm waiting for two packages now. I'm on day 17 waiting for one of them (was posted out on 2nd Sept). Or perhaps this is the new 'first class' service that we all should begin to expect?
Saturday 19 September 2009 9.12am
sack the lot of them!! (is that unreasonable??)
Saturday 19 September 2009 12.16pm
Not unreasonable at all! I posted a Get Well Card, 1st class, in Long Lane on 11 September - it was received by my [now better] friend 8 days later......postmarked Bolton!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions