London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 17
Friday 25 September 2009 3.01pm
se1ty slicker,

it was people like your Grandfather who stopped Hitler getting the better of us...you can only admire and love all the elderly people you see today knowing they endured such hardship.
Saturday 26 September 2009 12.03am
A book I ordered from Amazon arrived today. It was supposed to be by Royal Mail, free delivery and take several days but it arrived in 24 hours by courier, still free delivery. I guess as the last thing I ordered from Amazon disappeared without trace and had to be sen out again Amazon have abandoned using the Post Office. Hurrah!!!
Sunday 27 September 2009 9.49am
so the lazy wastes-of-space want overtime to deliver the backlog they have created themselves...this is crazy, its back to the 70s!
Sunday 27 September 2009 9.59am
Some really inspiring stories here...my goodness, what happened to the old British stiff upper lip and downright decency? I speak as a Battle of Britain Baby (born 1940) and I have to say this is another country, and I dont mean that in any positive sense. I try NOT to seem like an old fogey, and those who know me possibly wouldnt put me in that category, but human values are ageless and they sure are going out of the window in our time.
Monday 28 September 2009 9.37am
boroughpaul wrote:
so the lazy wastes-of-space want overtime to deliver the backlog they have created themselves...this is crazy, its back to the 70s!

I'm at the point where I would happily collect my packages from wherever they are! I'm missing 4 now... grumble grumble grumble... :o/
Monday 28 September 2009 11.37am
Would that be the 1970s when someone on an average salary could purchase a house, support a spouse and family, the state pension was enough to live on and students didn't have to pay for their tuition and subsistence?

Bring it on. I can put up with the bad haircuts and lurid flares.
Monday 28 September 2009 11.36pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
Would that be the 1970s when someone on an average salary could purchase a house, support a spouse and family, the state pension was enough to live on and students didn't have to pay for their tuition and subsistence?
Bring it on. I can put up with the bad haircuts and lurid flares.

Bad haircuts? I don't think I ever HAD my haircut in the '70s, and don't get me started on those Lionel Blairs and loons!
Tuesday 29 September 2009 9.06am
Can't get my head around what's going on with this postal strike business. I've been reading the postings on the subject and it seems as though it's purely a London problem. We've got no problems at all in this corner of Essex and recently we've been getting two deliveries on some days. At first I put this down to the probability that mail is arriving here in such huge quantities having been sitting somewhere for days on end and our local sorting office has had to make two deliveries on certain days to keep up with it. But having said that, there haven't been any days when we haven't had a delivery at all. So what's going on?
Tuesday 29 September 2009 9.20am
There just isn't much going on at all...sometimes theres a bit but lots of times not. I have just re-ordered several items with 1 supplier which are between 14 and 10 days overdue. A friend is waiting for his driving licenece to be returned although the DVLA say they posted it 15 days ago. So when the Royal Mail tell everyone there is a bit of a delay but not much they may be being truthful for certain areas but for lots of others they are being downright dishonest.
mac
Tuesday 29 September 2009 9.32am
I think that's part of the problem with the post in London - sometimes it arrives, sometimes it doesn't. There's no real way of knowing whether your post has been delayed somewhere or not unless you are expecting something and it doesn't arrive. Where possible, I've now arranged to have packages etc delivered to my work/parents address as both are outside London and don't seem to have a problem. Most unsatisfactory that it's come to this.
Current: 7 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions