London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 17
Tuesday 29 September 2009 12.52pm
We must have been very lucky. Post almost every day last week. Things getting through within two days of posting.

Hope I haven't cursed us with this post...

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 10.55pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
Got home Monday p.m. to find a card left at 13.00 to say that a package would be at Mandela Way sorting office, allow 24 hours before coming to collect it.
Went there at 15.00 today, (Tuesday), only to told that it hadn't been brought back yet.
"Why, has the guy been out all day, all night, and most of today since leaving the card yesterday?" I asked.
Fortunately, my attempt at humour didn't appear to annoy him, "Come back Thursday or Friday mate, it MIGHT be here by then," he offered.

Update on collection of my package from Mandela Way.
Went there today, (Friday), at around 12.10 only to be told, "It hasn't come back yet."
"Back from where?" I asked.
"It goes to Nine Elms depot and they are sometimes a bit slow returning it here, give it until the middle of next week !"
Fortunately the package contains, (I think), a couple of ink cartridges for my printer so I'm not desperate for it's arrival, but imagine if it were something that I really needed.
I have no desire to see hundreds of Royal Mail employees lose their jobs but it is not difficult to see why the public would be happy if the delivery of mail was handed over to a more efficient company.

Further update, (same package.)
Went to Mandela Way at 09.35 today, Tuesday 29.09.09 and presented the original card that was left by the mailman on 21.09.09.
Person returned to counter after 3 - 4 minutes and began to say something, I could make out about one word in three.
I apologised, (on reflection a wrong move, maybe he should have apologised), and said "I don't understand what it is that you are saying."
He went away and came back with the manager who said "Let me photocopy the card, put your phone number on it and I'll call you if it comes in."
Yes, he said IF.
I'm getting a bad feeling about this, I can visualise a protracted fight with Royal Mail for re-imbursement of the value of the goods that I'm quite sure now that I'll ever see.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 7.29am
three recorded parcels have gone missing between beginning of september and now. tracking doesn't work.
and these are the items i know of.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 8.39am
This is a funny one which I cant understand.

My fella lives in South East London and so the postal strike his effecting him badly.

I posted him a cuddly card two weeks ago and he got it last Monday which took approximately 1 week to arrive (I live in Manchester), it was his birthday yesterday so I decided to post the card 8 days early ie last week but I also posted him something last Thursday.......He got the letter I posted him last Thursday on Saturday but low and behold no BIRTHDAY CARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and it still hasnt come
mac
Wednesday 30 September 2009 9.27am
that's exactly what I mean - it's the randomness of it all that is so frustrating!
Wednesday 30 September 2009 10.13am
OK - using the faithful Time-Out-ometer (TM), last two copies have not yet arrived (17-23 September and 24-30 September). New edition should arrive today/tomorrow (but of course it won't because of the latest wave of strikes ...). I actually haven't had any post delivered since last Tuesday (22 September) even though, TO aside, I know there are things in the post to me (e.g. credit card statements) and - allegedly - there weren't strikes on all these days.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 11.24am
Exactly...I am awaiting things from over 15 days ago and guess these are all held up in the "backlog" that no-one really knows how big it is. That apart post deliveries are few and far between despite the postmen not being on strike EVERY day. So what are they all doing and why is there no post on non-strike days? Its not just me either as I live in a block of flats and some people will always be getting post in the regular course of things before I have to address my personal popularity issues lol.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 11.26am
it is absolutely appalling - something posted first class recorded (which, although not guaranteed, Royal Mail boast 'most arrives next day') last Monday, 21 September has only arrived today.

I hold Adam Crozier or whoever is in charge of Royal Mail today personally responsible; it is easy to scapegoat the poor postman but let us not forget that they are striking, inter alia, over a huge pension deficit which leaves their pensions massively short. Royal Mail could stop all of this inconvenience today by pledging money for the pension deficit which was brought about by its penny-pinching in the first place.

And no, I don't work for Royal Mail and nor do I have any connection to it - if that were the case I would have retrieved my own parcel from the sorting office!
Wednesday 30 September 2009 11.34am
And who's pension fund is in Balance or surplus....almost no-one. Even the national pension schemes are bust. This is a whole new discussion but to be frank the post workers are not special in this respect at all. Is the whole country on strike...no. So why are we all suffering if that is the real reason. Possibly its just a dying business and the restructuring that goes with that is not very nice but that is a fact of modern life. If not Gavin you wouldn't be making posts on blog sites like this.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 12.40pm
I take your point, Urbanite, re the state of the country and pension funds generally and the need for change but the country obviously places a great deal of reliance on the Royal Mail and there is a general expectation that it should adequately operate. So that it can operate, it requires staff and those stuff must be paid and looked after properly. My pension fund isn't performing as well as it should (as I'm sure other members' pensions are) but I was not told that my employer had put money into it only to discover that it had not, as is the case. That said, I apologise for taking the post off-subject but was so delighted to finally receive my wing mirrors from mr postie that i felt obliged to tell you all!
Current: 8 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions