London SE1 community website

Postal strike

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 17
Wednesday 30 September 2009 12.53pm
Economist back on track for weekly delivery - because they have taken the contract away from the Royal Mail and gone for hand delivery. In addition, they have extended my subscription by the number of issues that were delivered late. Must cost a pretty penny, but is probably cheaper than using Royal Mail.

Anyone else notice how the advertising stuff that no one is waiting for always arrives promptly, even during a strike?
Wednesday 30 September 2009 2.15pm
We have a reliance on it, Gavin, because there isn't a real alternative. I think I'm right on this - they have the monopoly on delivering letters/letter-type mail, whereas couriers can deliver packages, to any address.
mac
Wednesday 30 September 2009 2.24pm
And Royal Mail are tryting to increase the price of stamps again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6246302/Royal-Mail-wants-to-raise-stamp-prices-by-3p.html
Wednesday 30 September 2009 8.18pm
urbanite wrote:
Possibly its just a dying business and the restructuring that goes with that is not very nice but that is a fact of modern life.

I think that is a very apt observation urbanite.
Prior to the strikes of 25 - 30 years ago whoever saw a courier, either bicycle or motorcycle?
Firms were forced to start using courier services during those strikes otherwise their business would have ground to a halt, and there was no email then either.
Lots of businesses never went back to Royal Mail when the strikes were over, not for anything urgent anyway.
Now in addition there is email, this must have really eaten into the volume of Royal Mail's workload.
I have a degree of sympathy for the Royal Mail workforce, it must be a chilling feeling when you begin to realise that the job you thought would be there forever begins to sink like the Titanic.
There was a union rep being interviewed on Radio London this afternoon who bemoaned the fact that staff had been laid off and that regular weekend overtime was being withdrawn.
If there is no mail to move, how can you expect to come in on overtime rates to not move it?
It's akin to Bob Crow insisting his drivers get paid for driving empty trains, "it's not our members fault if no one wants to travel."
Wednesday 30 September 2009 8.49pm
i for one have no sympathy for them at all. they are a bunch of union bullies with their heads in the sand...or even worse...the 70s!!!
Wednesday 30 September 2009 9.08pm
Wasnt Adam Crozier in charge of the Football League once ??????
Wednesday 30 September 2009 10.04pm
Let's look on the bright side. It took the 1989 combo British Rail and Tube strike to make me into a bicycle commuter. I just hadn't considered it before then.

20 years on, I'm probably a lot fitter and richer for pedalling across London - and the Tube has lost a regular customer and source of income. "Simples!"

Human beings are at the top of the food chain becaise we are versatile. Am I alone in thinking that these Union guys just don't get it, as they shuffle pig-headedly towards extinction - while inflicting huge financial cost and inconvenience on innocent customers, who also pay the Royal Mail's wage bill through their taxes, thus adding insult to injury?
Wednesday 30 September 2009 10.26pm
i agree with boroughpaul. as said in my last post, unions shouldn't be allowed to exist if it means people are feeling bullied into striking, which clearly they are, this is not the way forward. progressive technology is a fact, and we all have to live with it, in any job. when you enter a job you know the t&c's associated with it, so get on with it and stop whingeing. many people have been made redundant or had pay cuts recently, and the majority of those that still have a job do not get overtime. If you still have a job, then you should be damn grateful of it. people today are too greedy and take too much for granted. the royal mail is a mess, and the whole population suffers because of a stupid union, and some moaning workers, it's unacceptable.
Thursday 1 October 2009 11.26am
I was wondering why I had only gotten 2 pieces of mail in the last few weeks. I'm moving in two weeks and worried I won't get the backlog before I go. Do you think there's anything I can do?
Thursday 1 October 2009 12.55pm
McQueen wrote:
We have a reliance on it, Gavin, because there isn't a real alternative

Well that's not quite true. Royal Mail's monopoly on the postal system ended in, I think, 2005, since which time TNT/DX among others have competed for postal business. Anyone with a need to get something guaranteed next day can use one of the overnight carriers (Parcelforce/APC/DPD) etc.

Problem is that most people stick with SENDING STUFF BY Royal Mail which, given its poorly run state, thus everything has crumbled due to the strike.

Whilst I agree it is frustrating not to receive one's post, I don't think it is fair to scapegoat the individual postman. I am sure that if your pension fund had been depleted (despite you having contributed to it for many years), you would be equally upset and, if working for Royal Mail and a member of the union, would vote to strike.

Admittedly, the motives of the union leaders and those in charge of RM are questionable, but your ordinary postie deserves the public's support. after all, we are all on here moaning about our post being delayed which is surely demonstrable of how important the postie's job is to begin with?

As a taxpayer, I think the public interest would be met by RM/the Government topping up the RM pension fund to remove the deficit. I say this especially because the postwoman who delivers to my workplace informed me that on the last strike day, RM shipped over managers from Ireland, put them up in 5* hotels and they still managed to cock up the deliveries. The fact that the managersd have no idea how to undertake work which is the mainstay of the business is, again, surely yet more evidence of how badly RM is run and, vis-à-vis, how it treats it staff.
Current: 9 of 17

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions