London SE1 community website

Power Outage 22-9-09

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 22 September 2009 6.50pm
Some pics from Gaunt Street:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4111

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 7.41pm
new kent road still out
and rang edf
Still no eta
Now 5 hours without power
Tuesday 22 September 2009 7.59pm
still out.........not on this is not good
Tuesday 22 September 2009 8.06pm
Someone has tweeted that EDF are bringing in generators at 11pm:

http://twitter.com/search?q=%23se1powercut

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 8.17pm
James Hatts wrote:
Someone has tweeted that EDF are bringing in generators at 11pm:
http://twitter.com/search?q=%23se1powercut

thanks for the update lets keep our fingers crossed been with out power since 2pm..and 2 kids under 10 ;0(
Tuesday 22 September 2009 8.35pm
I'm in Grange Road and the power came back on within a couple of minutes - hope everyone gets their power back soon!
Tuesday 22 September 2009 10.01pm
I am at the corner of New Kent Road and Falmouth Road. Our power was off and back on again this afternoon, but everything between us and the Elephant is still dark even now, including Albert Barnes House and Metro Central Heights.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 11.37pm
Yep, and Metro Central Heigths has no water, either, we are relying on a pump which does not run at present.
Wednesday 23 September 2009 12.23am
Got my power at last 1.15am 12 hur's later.....
better late then never wooo hoo ;0)
Wednesday 23 September 2009 12.07pm
My electricity also came back on at 1.15am, by which time I'd given up hope of it being back before the morning. Phone calls to EDF elicited the same recorded message and a call to the council just before midnight assured me it wasn't their problem.

This block was left without working lifts, flushing toilets, hot and cold running water and the flats only accessible only by a pitch black stairwell (no emergency lighting). Rendering the older, less physically able residents pretty much trapped in their flats (during a serious fire in this block, a couple of years ago, these residents were brought down in the lifts by the firemen).

A power cut for a couple of hours might be considered occasionally unavoidable, but to leave us for 11 HOURS in this situation is appalling. Especially since some of the buildings had their power back an hour later,(and James, what was that about generators at 11pm?!).

I'm furious that this happened, I haven't been able to leave the house for a couple of days, due to flu - not that I would have relished the thought of having to traverse the darkened stairwell (this block currently has a heroin addict problem that neither the police nor council seem to be able deal with effectively).

We were left in a vulnerable situation with no working facilities for far longer than is reasonably acceptable.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions