London SE1 community website

Power Outage 22-9-09

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Wednesday 23 September 2009 4.28pm
It was much the same here at Metro Central Heights- no power, no security latches, dark corridors and stairwells and no water because the pumps weren't running. We do have emergency lighting but the batteries are only good for a few hours. Fortunately we have on site security.

It seems that it was possible to re-route power to some buildings but not others- our newer South and Vantage buildings had electricity by the evening but the older North, East and West blocks didn't. I guess they must be wired in to the grid in different places. Looking out towards the river there was a triangle of darkness between us, London Bridge and Tower Bridge.

Inconvenient though it was, if something goes so badly wrong with a critical piece of equipment that it requires 4 fire engines then it is not realistic to expect a fix within the hour. Working in production systems myself, I am sure that EDF were dealing with this major incident as fast as they possibly could.
Thursday 24 September 2009 10.37am
I found some more info to do with the power cut and on goodwill gesture

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=963489
Friday 25 September 2009 7.29am
Looks like there is no electricity on Webber Street this morning.
Friday 25 September 2009 8.23am
And I noticed on the BBC local news that Borough Station was shut and the adjacent traffic lights were out. I wondered if it had anything to do with the other day.
Friday 25 September 2009 8.47am
guy's is out to.
Swimming for my child's school was called off down to power cut.
Friday 25 September 2009 8.52am
BBC News said that Borough High St Elec. off. Blimey. Is this the Third World or what???
Friday 25 September 2009 12.28pm
No water or power on Southwark Bridge Road this morning either. Very annoying!
Anyone know if this has been resolved? I'm guessing its something to do with the substation next to Ministry again.
Friday 25 September 2009 2.15pm
Just to let you know, I was told that the reason things could not be fixed quickly was that asbestos was found when they were putting the fire out meaning that noone could enter the area until it was made safe - must've put a big delay on resolving it. Our power came back on at about 1.30 even though several blocks round us were on much earlier - differen circut I suppose!
Friday 25 September 2009 2.24pm
Where is your block Dronid? Any idea if power is back on at Southwark Bridge Road? The costcutter should be open if it is.
Saturday 26 September 2009 7.51am
Walking down Webber Street/Great Suffolk Street last night, I noticed a container-sized generator running outside the new block at the junction of Great Suffolk Street and Southwark Bridge Road, with the cables running into the basement of the block.

Does anyone know what goes on in this block that requires such heavyweight power backup?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions