London SE1 community website

20-storey tower for Newington Causeway: plans go on display

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Friday 3 June 2011 1.11pm
Why is all this taking so long?
Friday 3 June 2011 1.12pm
I think it's linked to the impasse re. the Ministry of Sound and the Eileen House site across the road, well documented in another thread.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 September 2011 1.24pm
This one will run and run.

Despite the planning committee's resolution to grant planning permission back in June, the application is coming back to planning committee tomorrow for reconsideration in the light of new reports on noise from the Ministry of Sound.

Tuesday 1 November 2011 5.08pm
Tonight the committee will finally revisit its June decision on this tower: the Ministry of Sound is still making every effort to raise planning and procedural objections.

Live blog from 7pm at http://www.london-se1.co.uk/live/

Wednesday 2 November 2011 7.03pm
I do hope this building gets permission and the MOS are eventually forced to move. Although it does provide jobs and is a "landmark", quite frankly its not the landmark this area needs anymore.

I have been perched up in MCH for the last 5 years facing out over the roundabout and the noise from clubgoers this academic year between 10pm to 3am during the week and up to 8am on weekends has been astoundingly loud. They pour in huge groups from the tube and across the roundabout screeching at one another on the way up Newington Causeway and do the same thing on the way back - it sounds aggressive and frightening.

It has never been as loud as it has this year and it overrides the general traffic noise, which one easily gets used to. I do wonder whether the club has encouraged this in order to block / overturn the planning permissions. In any event, the behaviour of the clubbers is causing me and my family lost sleep and stress and I do not doubt others are also affected. Complaints to the noise team are about to begin.
Wednesday 2 November 2011 9.55pm
hellsbells wrote:
I do hope this building gets permission and the MOS are eventually forced to move. Although it does provide jobs and is a "landmark", quite frankly its not the landmark this area needs anymore.
I have been perched up in MCH for the last 5 years facing out over the roundabout and the noise from clubgoers this academic year between 10pm to 3am during the week and up to 8am on weekends has been astoundingly loud. They pour in huge groups from the tube and across the roundabout screeching at one another on the way up Newington Causeway and do the same thing on the way back - it sounds aggressive and frightening.

Stunning arrogance.

It has never been as loud as it has this year and it overrides the general traffic noise, which one easily gets used to. I do wonder whether the club has encouraged this in order to block / overturn the planning permissions. In any event, the behaviour of the clubbers is causing me and my family lost sleep and stress and I do not doubt others are also affected. Complaints to the noise team are about to begin.
Thursday 3 November 2011 6.28am
Dont understand. Are you saying, boroughonian, that hellsbells' remarks are arrogant? I dont see why. I think it's totally correct that MOS thinks it owns the neighbourhood and should be brought to book for being obstructive and...yes...ARROGANT!
Thursday 3 November 2011 9.17am
sadly if you complain about the noise you are just playing into their hands....reading between the lines thats what they want to happen.

I'm torn on this one - they are an institution & have been here way before developers wanted to regenerate E&C, but they can't just expect to control everything that goes on in 'their' patch. I agree that is arrogance. I guess, as is being proposed, if people buy/rent the flats there they will just have to put up with the noise or wear those waxy ear plugs like my mum!
Thursday 3 November 2011 10.35am
I can't believe you can really start complaining about noise if you bought/rent a flat overlooking the E+C roundabout. I live in MCH overlooking Newington Causeway and I find the clubbers actually make the area feel safer, just by there being LOTS of people around at all hours. Yes they are noisy sometimes, but they've very rarely disturbed my sleep, and certainly no more than the traffic / sirens / trains / beer deliveries etc.

It does annoy me when people talk about clubs as if they're something slightly 'wrong'.
Thursday 3 November 2011 10.51am
Playing devil's advocate here and not having an axe to grind in either direction...but isn't this exactly what the guy from MOS was alluding to...people moving in and then complaining about what was already there...in his case the club but also the roundabout and the noise associated with it, and the noise from people using the club...I have no idea why this year would be noisier than others but not being a conspiracy theorist I guess maybe nicer warmer weather, even at night, has a part to play.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions