London SE1 community website

20-storey tower for Newington Causeway: plans go on display

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 3 November 2011 11.34am
shaggy wrote:
I guess, as is being proposed, if people buy/rent the flats there they will just have to put up with the noise or wear those waxy ear plugs like my mum!

I don't think it's that simple. The law about noise will still stand. The awful arrogant people that move next to existing, carefully and considerately located noisy venues will bully their way to a bland uniform dead London.
Thursday 3 November 2011 3.02pm
Personally I am happy that the planning permission has been granted. I think that people who accuse the developers of bully tactics need to recognise that MOS are resorting to the same approach and two wrongs dont make a right. I dont think any one sector should be able to dominate the way the area should develop.I would like to live in an area that has an interesting mix. I would also like to know how long the lease is on the MOS building? They are tennants not owners and may very well not be able to renegotiate a new lease with their landlord so may be forced to move in the future anyway. Maybe thei need to stop development has more to do with the fear that their landlord may feel that the site may be more valuable as a development asset in the future.
Thursday 3 November 2011 4.45pm
Brian Kennedy wrote:
Maybe thei need to stop development has more to do with the fear that their landlord may feel that the site may be more valuable as a development asset in the future.

An interesting point. I think you've missed the point with the bullying though. It hasn't actually started yet. It will happen when more people like Hells Bells appear on the scene.

hellsbells wrote:
I do hope this building gets permission and the MOS are eventually forced to move.
I have been perched up in MCH for the last 5 years... Complaints to the noise team are about to begin.

Choosing to move to a noisy location then planning to have the original people 'forced to move' says it all really.
Saturday 5 November 2011 3.41pm
Thomas Hill QC's opinion is worth reading.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 5 November 2011 4.54pm
Well said Mr.Hill, absolutely spot on!
Monday 7 November 2011 2.43pm
Stunningly arrogant me here again. It's not only "people like Hells Bells" moving in who are complaining. There are plenty in MCH who have been commenting on the increase in noise this year - one group of housemates on my floor have moved across the corridor so that they now have a courtyard-facing home as the noise became insufferably loud for them at night.

Although the people who are unable to respond reasonably to this board without being personally rude make a fuss about people moving to a noisy area then complaining about the noise, they should note that:
1. we moved to the E&C in 2006 knowing it was noisy and not having a problem with that - it's the increase this year which is the problem; and
2. as the MOS probably know, to complain that people have come to the noise nuisance is no defence to that nuisance - i.e. people who move to noisy areas can still complain about it and the noisemakers cannot use that as a defence to complaints about it. But that is only relevant in this case to MOS operating within the terms of their licence, which no doubt does not extend to making their attendees be quiet on their way to and from the club.

So I howl like a wolf hopelessly at Southwark Council.

Still, I also see that the MOS have been making large donations this year to the Lib Dems on the council who then voted against the developments:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15598532

Murky.
Monday 7 November 2011 4.49pm
Or just coincidence? Should the Lib Dems on the council vote for the scheme just to prove that there's nothing 'murky' going on?

The noise levels from MOS itself have not increased.

You state the increased noise levels come from punters (which I haven't noticed at all, depite living closer to the club), about which MOS has no control. The only possible reasons for this are that the club is busier than in previous years or that its punters have got louder for some odd reason.
Monday 7 November 2011 5.29pm
People are generally noisier and more raucous these days, and indeed MOS does not try and imply to it's customers that it would be considerate NOT to hang around outside yelling...
Monday 7 November 2011 8.07pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
MOS does not try and imply to it's customers that it would be considerate NOT to hang around outside yelling...

Has this been your experience as a customer or are you guessing?
Monday 7 November 2011 9.26pm
I think you'll find its now pretty much compulsory for any pub/bar/club to have signs up at its exits reminding punters to leave quietly and be respectful of the neighbours.

Whether they are or not is not down to the pub/bar/club as they have no control of a punter once they have left the premises.

Most importantly when it comes to noise complaints, the issue of who was there first is pretty much irrelevant. Believe me , I have had this at more than one of our sites!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions