London SE1 community website

Earth to Simon the Tanner pub!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sam
Tuesday 26 March 2002 3.56pm
The Ship is on the road parallel to Weston Street. Open at weekends and really nicely decorated. think they do food.
Tam
Tuesday 26 March 2002 4.03pm
The guardian ran a guide weekend before last on Britains best pubs. There were about five listed in SE1 alone! I was suprised to find a pub on Tabard Street (Borought high street end) as one of them. It's supposed to sell really decent ales in beautifully refurbished surroundings.

Others mentioned were...The Anchor (undergoing refurbishment at the mo) and The George. Cant remember the others. The Ship looks lovely its on the road parallel to Weston Street. I think they serve food and the decor looks nice.

For those who are after something a little different, try the upstairs room in the Leathermarket. It's nearly always open and is pretty astonishing. Huge leather seats, sky high ceilings, old antique paintings etc, etc. Lots of character and great for a private tete a tete.

there is also a newish lookign pub opened next to Borough Market. Its a small narrow place with basic bench and chairs, but they do great food. It's on same road as Feng Sushi and Wine Wharf. Buzzing Saturday day times.
Sam
Thursday 28 March 2002 1.04pm
Was there last night and it's going to be closed for a few days for refurbishment. They're putting comfy sofas at the front, insalling new tables, and painting it all a warm red. The menu is going to be changed as well -- more traditional pub food as opposed to tapas. I think this makes sense.

They MIGHT open on Sundays for lunch for a trial period.

I still think they need to open Saturdays, but hey, these improvements sound great.

It's a lovely little pub. Very friendly. All locals should try it out when it reopens. Whoever is reponsible for this and the Leathermarket -- and the other pub on that other street which I can't remember the name of, behind the hospital -- should be commended. They're lovely pubs, which cater to the changing needs of the area. Get out there and support them! (I don't own shares, really I don't.)
Monday 8 April 2002 12.28pm
I love the scotia bar on Bermondsey St, nice atmosphere with nice core of regulars, good food and sexy bar me!!
Bob
Friday 12 April 2002 6.54am
Thanks for your kind words. Yes we have refurbished and re-opened on the 8th April. We have a new med style menu with something for anyone.

It now looks like your grannies front room, sofas large dining table, sorry no telly but plenty of newspapers.

We will be open for Sunday lunch this Sunday from 12 to 6

New faces behind the bar, Julie & Peter,

Keep the numbers up and we will open on Saturdays.

Bob
Tuesday 23 April 2002 12.38pm
The roebuck in Great dover Street does a blinding pint of Stella grub is not bad too. Ask for Kellie
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions