London SE1 community website

New restaurant Southwark Bridge Road / Webber Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 27 November 2009 4.34pm
Zoe wrote:
Is there a spellchecker that I don't know about? I'd really like one but it's somewhat rude to point out others' errors, the polite thing is to ignore them (and hope others politely ignore our own errors!).

I recommend installing the Google tool-bar, which has an option to spell-check everything that you type into web-based forms (I am seeing red underlining as I type this, telling me to hyphenate "toolbar" and "spellcheck"!)

It can also be used for other useful things, such as automatically filling in your name, address, postcode, etc. (if you want it to) in web-based forms.
Monday 30 November 2009 4.07pm
I'm hoping and expect that the new restaurant El Vergel will be a pleasant and vibrant addition to life on Great Suffolk Street and the area more generally. However, I'm also glad that there has been an agreement on reasonable opening hours and the sale of alcohol. It seems to me that there has to be a sensible Balance between creating a thriving neighbourhood on the one hand, and on the other, prioritising residential concerns over noise levels at night, particularly in an area where there is a confluence of so many roads with people coming and going throughout the night particularly at weekends.
Monday 30 November 2009 4.37pm
Anyone notice if El Vergel is open yet? It seemed to be gearing up this morning when I passsed on my way to work. Hoping to try it out tonight if it's open.
Monday 30 November 2009 9.06pm
Apparently El Vergel opened today (Monday) in its new location. It wasn't open this evening though. I've updated the listing (but the picture still shows the old Lant Street premises for now):

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/26/el-vergel

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
ADT
Tuesday 1 December 2009 1.36pm
It had 'now open' signs up as I walked by this morning and seemed to be open for breakfast - at least there were people dotted about inside.
Tuesday 1 December 2009 8.54pm
The 'now open' signs were still there as I walked past a couple of hours ago. It was closed though.
Monday 21 December 2009 10.31am
I've tried El Vergil for breakfast on Saturday morning a few times now.
It's tricky to work out when they open.
The first time we turned up about 9:10, walked in and sat down. A waitress came over and told us they opened at 10:00. So we came back at 10:00, and were served in a reasonable time - there were only one or two people in.

The following week we turned up at ten. There were three of us chatting away, so we didn't notice for a while that we were being ignored. At about half past we eventually get the attention of the waitress - again there were only two or three other customers. By 11 o'clock we were getting hungry and grumpy. When the waitress finally came over with our order we asked why we had to wait - there is only one choice for breakfast. We were told that a) we shouldn't have arrived so early in the morning, and b) there were other people to serve before us.

The food is really nice, and great value. 5 for a cooked breakfast with coffee.
The service is appalling and the staff are rude.

Anyone had a better experience?
Monday 21 December 2009 11.09am
ssimps01 wrote:
The service is appalling and the staff are rude.

They must be from Buenos Aires, then. That seemed to be the norm there!
Monday 21 December 2009 11.36am
Frankly, I had a very good experience. Food is great and the service was very friendly. Prices are also unbeatable.

I chatted with the owner and what is going regarding the opening hours, e.t.c... Bottom line, El Vergel is simply experiencing the teething problems that naturally arise from moving from on place to another 3 times the size, with a brand new kitchen on top of that.

Give them the time to organise themselves and get their bearings. El Vergel will not disappoint you.
Monday 21 December 2009 12.03pm
I hope you're right Julien.
I wouldn't have minded waiting if the waitress had only said 'sorry for the wait, we're having teething problems.'
I'll try again this weekend.

The prices aren't unbeatable though. The cafe round the corner next to the butchers on Great Suffolk Street is cheaper.
That's where I'll continue to go if I'm made to feel like an intruder again this weekend.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions