London SE1 community website

Katzenjammers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 15 October 2009 9.42pm
Have just come back from the opening night scramble. It was rather quite rammed already at 6.30 and it took a while to get served at the bar. The beer selection is very impressive and I like the fact that they have not chosen to include a bulk British brand for those who only want the familiar stuff. Two pint steins also get served, which is great when you literally want to go out for just one.

The atmosphere and the staff seemed very friendly, despite being rather busy trying to cope on the first night. The food is quite typically Bavarian, including sausages, sauerkraut, knuckle of pork and scnitzels with schwartzwald cake and apfelstrudel as desserts.

We managed to grab some of the free food plates floating around, we got to taste the schweinhaxe (knuckle of pork) and what we thought must be the bratwurst on the menu. We both thought it was a bit on the bland side flavourwise, even if the presentation looked authentic. Maybe they had tried to adapt to a more British taste, but for us it was far too bland tonight.

The place has a nice cellar feeling to it, but the walls are painted in bright white and the place felt slightly too sterile and bright. The tables are wooden with long benches seating six comfortably. They are placed quite tightly indise thoug and if you sit be the wall end of the table you can't move from the table without everyone else standing up first.

My companion had been to Zeitgeist before and she said she far preferred it for authenticity so we will try to visit them soon as well.

But all in all a very nice effort to make German cuisine fashionable and we might try another time when they have found their feet to see whether the food is any better then. But just for a great selection of beers I can recommend the place anytime!
Thursday 15 October 2009 10.18pm
Went along for the opening night - and a bit of a mixed bag.

On the plus side, it's very clean and the refurb looks nice, the benches and low arches make it seem quite cosy and authentic. The food that was on offer - fresh pretzels, sausages and sauerkraut - was really tasty, and there's a really good range of draught beer in a good range of sizes (half/pint/stein). I love Bavarian food and they had a great menu on offer, including spaetzle, weisswurst and maltauchen (dumplings).

On the down side, I waited at the bar for quite a while before being told that it was table service only, so we found a table and after another wait a waitress took our order. Waited 15 minutes before flagging down a (manager?) who was rather rude/defensive when we asked if there was a problem with our order, I'm hoping these are just opening night teething troubles rather than his general attitude to customers because he wasn't exactly welcoming! Also communal (bench) seating which is fine, but the staff seemed to find it tricky as we were sharing a table - putting our drinks down with another party rather than next to us. Also not cheap at 4.45/pint for the Paulaner Munchen.

Will be interested to see how it performs once the opening night's passed!
Friday 16 October 2009 8.15pm
I thought Maltauchen were like raviolis. I like German food and I will try it to compare with what I eat when I go there. A nice addition to the neighborhood, I am sure.
Saturday 17 October 2009 6.31pm
I decided that I would go and find out what Katzenjammers is like for myself this afternoon and have lunch. I arrived about 4pm with my wife and we sat down and started looking through the menu. A waitress came over and asked us if we would like to order drinks. I ordered a pint of German beer and my wife a Cola.
The waitress served us with the drinks and then announced that they only serve food 12-3 and then 6 till 10.00.
I checked on the literature and on the board outside and nowhere does it say they do not serve food between 3 and 6 so we finished our drinks and left disappointed.

We went next door to the Wheatsheaf where it clearly states on their board, food served on Saturday 12.00 till late, however to be sure I asked the bar lady. She said they start serving food at 5.00pm.

Why is it so difficult to eat out around here between 3 and 6 on a Saturday. With Borough Market and all the tourists that it brings, I would have thought they would do food all day.

We ended up at Wagamama 's, at least they were serving food
Tuesday 20 October 2009 7.53am
theres a German Pub that does food on Black Prince rd its at the end of Lambeth Walk - near firebrigade HQ\ Albert Embankment

havent been but theyre doing lunch for 5 have 50 different beers

its called the Jolly Gardeners

- often see Germans coming out so i guess thats a good sign
Tuesday 20 October 2009 5.01pm
Went in there yesterday evening around 6:30 for a few beers. Surprisingly quiet.

Beer is not cheap but then it is the same as the other German pubs around and it is a good selection- my oktoberfest beer was amazing. Had the sausage selection and it was also good.

I will definitely be going back even though when its not busy it looks so empty- i can imagine that once it's busy it's got a great atmosphere with the communal tables.

@mick4recycle- you mean Zeitgeist @ the Jolly Gardeners, no link on here to the pub but their sister venture Zeitgeist Lunch box is here- http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/511/zeitgeist-lunch-box. Love Zeitgeist and I agree with your comment re German expats there is always a lot of them which has to be a good sign.
Sunday 3 January 2010 6.29pm
Had lunch there recently. Committed the major sin of having a delicious fruit beer, then had three or four smallish sausages with sauerkraut and asked them for a bowl of mash to go with it. It was very cheap and very good indeed.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions