London SE1 community website

Squatters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 19 October 2009 11.22pm
[quote AndyABC][quote Gavin Smith]
The thing I find strange is that, when someone else is occupying your property, you are not allowed to use force to re-enter your OWN property (in a way that maybe you would have to if you had locked yourself out by accident and had no other way of entering)! That's the laws of England and Wales, I guess.....[/quote]

This reminds me of something my father said just before I left home to live in England, "The English will stand for anything." I laughed then, but looking at these squatting laws I think he may have been right.
Tuesday 20 October 2009 12.14am
Gavin Smith wrote:
I didn't for one second suggest that it was legal to forcibly evict squatters - see my original post.

Yes apologies Gavin - the second part of my comment (Re: the question of re-squatting your property) was an answer to Andy ABC. I forgot to put down that it was in answer to his point.

I don't think I was being contrary in saying something about the Section 61 law. Saying 'I don't think it has ever been used in the inner cities to remove squatters from places' doesn't make me come across as some kind of expert. It seems to suggest that I would be interested in hearing from somebody with access to the info or stats which I would be.

Anybody know?
Wednesday 21 October 2009 11.01am
Ivanhoe: apologies if you were genuinely trying to help, but it did seem as if you were being a bit "snarky"... your last post seems to give that impression too but - oh well. Don't want to start a big argument in my first week so let's just be friends, huh?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions