London SE1 community website

Pics of Tooley Street/TBR/Old Jamaica Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Sunday 25 October 2009 1.42pm
I think this is the section of Tower Bridge road where Manzies is today. Green walk is further down towards Bricklayers Arms and not in view. You can see the outline of the Brighton Buildings (on the south side of TBR)through the haze and further on a warehouse, almost opposite Green walk that I remember burning down in the 60s. A great film though. Anybody know of any more on youtube?
Sunday 25 October 2009 1.58pm
Crosby34
I thought this was near Tower Bridge magistrates Court?
Real SE1
Sunday 25 October 2009 5.06pm
it is Tooley Street by the court - a bit further down though. The mansion blocks are Devon Mansions (formerly Hanover Buildings).
Sunday 25 October 2009 5.51pm
Here's the YouTube link to Tower Bridge Road market footage.
Sunday 25 October 2009 6.57pm
The first part of the film is definitely the parade of shops that Manzies is still located in. Further down towards Green Walk the buildings are a slightly different style and the width of the road doesn't allow for much in the way of stalls. The large buildings in the Tower Bridge market section of the film are definitely the Brighton buildings. The gap in the shops right at the beginning of the film doesn't look like a street, just an access to the rear, perhaps to Alice St which ran continously from Green walk to Decima St before the estate was built in the 30s and cut it in two. There are some 50s style infill buildings along that parade and maybe these filled that gap. The other clue is the slight curve of the buildings as they go towards Rothsay St. Mind you, the traffic levels are a little heavier these days and strolling across TBR isn't as easy now.
Sunday 25 October 2009 7.20pm
Crosby34
Sorry I was talking about the Picture and not the film clip. You are right that is Manzes and also Toby Nobles shop in Tower Bridge Road. That clip is fantastic to watch and see all the lovely people going about there hard lives with a smile on there face and the hussle and bussle of the area.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 5.11pm
Lovely memories of that No 68 tram

I used it four times a day for years back and forth to work
Wednesday 28 October 2009 6.19pm
Lovely piece of old footage. What made me smile the most was the old Market stalls - the barrows. I used to push the barrows out before school each morning down East Lane market, back in 1961 and the barrows were exactly the same then as in that clip. I wonder if any of them are still going strong. They were certainly well looked after when I was working on them.
Thursday 29 October 2009 8.25am
I think Thomas Tingley in Brandon street used to do the wheels, and possibly made them Chalkey?

Thomas re the dentist on the corner of green walk. I am sure it was a tobacconist because in the early eighties they cleared the shop out and in the skip was thrown all sorts of pieces of tobacco advertising I retrieved a tit-bits song book from the thirties!

That was just before someone turned it into a 'vegetarian' restaurant..which used vegetable fat only at lunchtime and ordinary fat in the evening!
Thursday 29 October 2009 8.39am
Thomas, when I get home tonight I'll have another look on you tube..:-)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions