London SE1 community website

78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Tuesday 19 April 2011 11.29pm
Saw two of the double deckers come along at once this evening!
Wednesday 20 April 2011 6.11am
Funny - I'm on it twice a day and I haven't seen any yet.Mind you it seems easier this week with far less passengers than usual. Maybe when I come back after May 2nd there will be more. Hope so.
Thursday 21 April 2011 12.54pm
I live on the route and only yesterday around 5pm saw one for the first time.
Thursday 28 April 2011 7.06pm
I have seen 3 78 Double deckers they are like 38
they look good and we can use them when they arrives in London.

C10 is even worse cuz they have new buses that look like 42 and have less room.
Monday 23 May 2011 6.31am
Where are they? I've only seen one DD in the past 2 weeks. Very disappointing as I was informed by end May they would be all changed over. Anyone know what's happening here?
Wednesday 8 June 2011 5.24pm
Sighted: three double decker 78s at once at Tower Hill this evening! Even got to travel on one both to and from work today!
Thursday 16 June 2011 12.59pm
Dear Val Shawcross

Well at last a way to contact you which might prompt a response; unlike all previous correspondence on the 78.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the over-crowded passengers, it's not pleasant and, on other routes, I have been appalled at how many people can pile onto a single bus.

But the fall-out from the introduction of the double decker on this route isn't all positive. Residents of very narrow, quiet residental streets in Nunhead are now having a thunderingly heavy, often speeding (yes, we've checked) vehicle which is as tall as the houses nearly hurtling past their houses.

The front gardens are not large and the problems being caused have been complained about to both TfL, Val Shawcross, local council members and Harriet Harman. I have to compliment Barrie Hargrove for his support and also, to a much lesser degree Fiona Colley (fading fast in the opinion polls in our street!) who is the only person who has shown any understanding of the noise intrusion (every 10 minutes almost 24 hours), the shaking of victorian buildings on the usual victorian foundations and frankly the danger to people (particularly the young children living there as it is popular with families)!

Passengers have a limited journey time, we get the impact all day every day. We have suggested alternative routes and options, some of which would not cost a penny more. What do we get from TfL, well, not much I suspect.

Val, do you care about residents or just commuters?
Is there any chance that you would consider responding on the issues raised to you before.
I know you're in contact with at least one resident in the road, what about the others? We're not going away.

Sleepless Nunheadian
Thursday 16 June 2011 3.20pm
Nunheadian, what are the alternative routes and options you've suggested?
Thursday 16 June 2011 3.20pm
Can't agree. The more capacity on the route the better. Full marks for the DD's and your ability to increase it.
Tuesday 21 June 2011 10.40am
This written answer to a question from Val Shawcross has just been published by City Hall:

Valerie Shawcross
I fully welcome and support the new double decker operation on bus route 78. However, some local residents at the Nunhead end of the route have raised concerns about noise and vibration caused by larger buses in residential streets. Please could you update me on TfL's efforts to find a compromise which reduces any inconvenience to local residents while ensuring that bus passengers benefit from the higher capacity buses?

Written response from the Mayor
All bus types operating in London are Department for Transport approved and meet all current European Union standards. This supports our environmental and noise policies to minimise impacts on Londoners while maintaining an efficient transport network.

However, TfL is aware of the concerns of local residents in the Nunhead area and they are investigating alternative routeing options for route 78. I have asked TfL to keep you appraised of the outcome of the investigations.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions