London SE1 community website

78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Thursday 22 October 2009 4.31pm
Not just that time of night either most rush hour journeys are a nightmare -the bus drivers have obviously been told to get as many people on as they can to hide the inadequaces of the route to the extent you cannot get off the bus without climbing over over passengers. they really need 2 door buses on the route.

i have waited 40 minutes in the moring to get on a bus to Victoria-they run lots of empty buses to the Elephant (they tell me it is because people want to travel to a hub despite the fact the buses are empty) and you cannot get on a Victoria bus in Long Lane. when one eventually does come along there is usually one straight behind it
Thursday 22 October 2009 4.37pm
and i forgot the destination changes are a real pain-They change on to Tate Britain in the morning and Elephant or Rotherhithe of an evening but they do not tell the passengers and if another bus is behind that is going straight through they do not tell it to wait for the other bus to allow passengers to change and it goes past-i have been left stranded before as the other bus doing the full journey has already gone and one morning our bus driver actually swerved in front of the other bus so we could transfer.
Thursday 22 October 2009 7.48pm
I rarely use these routes, but I would like to know is there any reason these are single decker buses? Where I live north of the river, we have a single decker 214. It has two doors mostly; there are about two vehicles that only have one door.
In rush hour boarding passengers are reluctant to let you off, fearing they will loose their chance to dash on first -some are really stubborn and you have to wonder if they really wont let you off the only door how do they expect to get on?
Thursday 22 October 2009 11.41pm
Tonight I waited more than 45 minutes for a no.1 at Holborn. During that time only one no1 that was out of service came along, and no 188s at all. I noticed that all the 168s were stopping at the Elephant. I eventually gave up and had to get a taxi that I can ill-afford, as my disability leaves me in great pain and I reckoned that if a bus came it would be crowded and I would have to stand.

The destination changes are getting more frequent and are very frustrating.
Friday 23 October 2009 7.29am
Auntie, I sympathise - I can't really stand for any length of time at the moment, and there's so much clutter around the bus stops and so many out of service that the bus stops thirty yards down the road unseen, and by the time it gets anywhere visible to seated people it is setting off again and won't stop.

Oh well, off I go for another attempt to get to work!
Friday 23 October 2009 6.38pm
I think we are stuck with single deckers on the C10 route, due to the bridge on Abbey Street which I doubt would take a double-decker (though I must check the height sign). Other than that, Rotherhithe Street is very cramped and so they prefer the shorter buses, which are of course single door and single deck. Sometimes even these are challenged by the narrow street and unhelpful parking, but I am always impressed by the skill of the drivers.
Friday 23 October 2009 7.07pm
Possel doesn't the Jubilee Line replacement double decker sometimes go down Abbey Street, or am I imagining that?

Anyway, fair play as I have worked for a Council and know how frustrating it is that people always complain when things go wrong but never when they go well, today I got to my office and back via 2 1s and 2 C10s and had only a short wait in three cases, and one that was long but probably not over the advertised maximum, and got a seat for most of both journeys.

The 1 was terminating early and the C10 was on diversion down Lambeth but neither of those things are a problem for me (indeed the latter is a positive joy!)
Wednesday 3 February 2010 5.45pm
Any improvment was shortlived on the 78 route. Over several days, I have seen several 'pairs' of buses, the first less than half full and the second with literally a couple of passengers. This is mid-morning.

Today, leaving Tesco, OKR, I waited 20 minutes and, as before, it was a squeeze to get on the packed bus with my shopping - at 2pm.

I couldn't see another one behind.
Wednesday 3 February 2010 6.01pm
I gave up on the 78 years ago and walk to Moorgate every morning. Obviously this is not an option for some people, but I can heartily recommend it - it's saved me some money, increased my fitness and is a good way to start the day (rather than being jostled on a cramped bus!). For those that do rely on the buses, write to TFL and get others to do the same.
Wednesday 3 February 2010 6.09pm
Walking is soo underrated, even if the journey time is longer, it is certain, free, and burns calories.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions