London SE1 community website

78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Monday 17 May 2010 12.28pm
The new contract for the 78 was awarded last week.

From a bus enthusiasts' group:

"Route 78 - Retained by Arriva London North with 16 new double deckers. The proposed conversion to double deck operation is subject to consultation. Contract commences on 13/11/10."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 17 May 2010 2.56pm
Awesome! Excellent news! About bloomin time!!
Monday 17 May 2010 5.38pm
Good news about the double-deckers - is 16 the entire fleet though? that doesn't sound that many.
Monday 17 May 2010 6.52pm
Thanks, James. This is good news indeed.....subject to 'consultation'..........
Monday 17 May 2010 7.47pm
Auntie Pat, I think 16 buses is more than is currently run on the route. Maybe this means that, as well as increased capacity on the actual bus, they will run more frequently. I think they have a maximum of eight buses on the route at the current time.
Monday 17 May 2010 11.48pm
You could be right, I waited ages for a 78 this evening from Liverpool St to Grange Road. It was a struggle to get off it, I had to get off at the front door, squeezing past a number of idiots who wouldn't move!
Tuesday 18 May 2010 10.56am
16 buses IS the current allocation for this route even if it doesn't always seem like it. It takes two hours for a bus leaving Shoreditch to arrive back there.
Tuesday 18 May 2010 12.40pm
you're quite right, TiamariaJim. I have checked and it is supposed to be a 16-bus route; I based my previous post of eight buses on the route from a count I had whilst waiting over an hour one Sunday.
Wednesday 19 May 2010 3.30pm
Oh thank GOD. This is brilliant news, thanks for posting. Why the 78 hasn't changed to a doubledecker service before now beats me, just the worst bus to have to use (and, natch, the only one that goes by my work).
Wednesday 19 May 2010 3.47pm
I always found the 78 (and 42) buses to be driven by nutters who drive the bus as though it's a car, especially near Tower Bridge.

Hopefully, the larger double deckers will prevent the white knuckle ride.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions