London SE1 community website

78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11
Wednesday 19 May 2010 7.01pm
Was the 78 ever a double decker? or have I asked that already!
Wednesday 19 May 2010 11.08pm
Yes Jan, the 78 was a double decker in the fifties. (London Transport RT or RTL series I believe ). Used it many times as part of our journey to St Olave's School Sports Ground in Dulwich
Regards Tone

Tony Taylor
Wednesday 19 May 2010 11.15pm
Tower Bridge opened and started to gup whilst a double deck RT operating on the 78 route was driving across it. The driver, who was carrying passengers quickly accelerated, clearing a three feet gap onto the other side (east) of the bridge. I believe this was in the early Fifties and if you have time to Google it, you might be able to find a picture.
Wednesday 19 May 2010 11.17pm
I did find this:

Wikipedia wrote:
In December 1952, the bridge opened while a number 78 double-decker bus (stock number RT 793) was on it. At that time, the gateman would ring a warning bell and close the gates when the bridge was clear before the watchman ordered the lift. The process failed while a relief watchman was on duty. The bus was near the edge of the south bascule when it started to rise; driver Albert Gunter made a split-second decision to accelerate the bus, clearing a three-foot drop on to the north bascule, which had not started to rise. There were no serious injuries.[20]
Wednesday 19 May 2010 11.24pm
Wikipedia is your friend...
Wednesday 19 May 2010 11.25pm
Pipped me at the post Gav!!!
Wednesday 19 May 2010 11.31pm
Well , there you go . 78 bus driver Bert Gunter did an "up and over" instead of the usual rugby play of the good old fashioned "up and under" . Well done Bert and RT 793 !

Tony Taylor
Wednesday 19 May 2010 11.47pm
It was a double decker in the 90s - at one stage it was green!
Thursday 20 May 2010 8.13am
I do try BSB!
Thursday 20 May 2010 10.54am
I should have known that! my sister and aunt was on it!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions