London SE1 community website

78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11
Friday 15 October 2010 3.22pm
New timetable on the 78 starts tomorrow:

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/078fullnew.pdf

The written answer to Val's latest question to Boris re the introduction of double deckers will be published early next week:

http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/public/question.do?id=33172

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 October 2010 7.47am
Whenever I see a double-decker 42 coming I go phew! and then I say a few Hail Vals. I know I'm going to get on it and not be pressed up so close to the guy next to me that I'm scared he's going to put a baby in me. Being able to actually reach the door to get off again is just icing on the cake. Val, if I see a double-decker 78 coming towards me I am going to throw you a parade. Thank you.
Tuesday 19 October 2010 8.06am
Looks like it may be some time before we get any new buses.....

Mayor answers to London
Double Decker buses on route 78
Question number 3265/2010
Meeting date 13/10/2010
Question by
Valerie Shawcross
Please can you update me on TfL's proposals to tackle capacity issues on the 78 bus route by introducing double deck vehicles?
Answer by Boris Johnson
Answer not yet available.
Tuesday 19 October 2010 9.02am
I spoke to one of the 78 drivers yesterday and he said that they've been told that the double deckers are coming but no one knows when exactly...
Tuesday 19 October 2010 9.19am
typical useless Arriva, if they ever do arrive they will probably be worn out stock or the cheapest junk they can find. We'd be better off with Routemasters...
Tuesday 19 October 2010 9.22am
Double deckers arriving early next year - news story follows later today

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 20 October 2010 3.51pm
Great news - at last! Thanks, Ms Shawcross. Now...the C10.......:p
Tuesday 23 November 2010 9.39am
I am glad to hear that double deckers are comming. But I get the 78 every day, and I haven't seen much of an improvement. I have still tried to get a bus anytime between 8am and 9am and am always struggling to get on at Grange road, and often am still driven past. Sometimes only one bus comes every 25 mins.

One thing that is a problem is that drivers change shifts at this time every day. We have to wait on Aldgate for drivers to turn up and when they do it takes an extra 10 minutes for them to change over. Is there any way driver shifts can be adjusted so they are not switching over during rush hour?
Wednesday 26 January 2011 8.26am
So January is almost over and I have yet to see a double-decker 78 bus. The buses are still unpredictable and in some ways have gotten worse. It used to be that if I left earlier than 7:30AM I had a decent chance of getting a bus within 10 min. that I could actually get on but this morning I was out there at 7:20AM and the buses were slow in coming and then we got passed by as they were already stuffed full of people. It was over 20 min. before we got on a bus and once we were on it was full. We drove by several stops with huge crowds of sad people watching us go by. Did I imagine that I read we'd be getting the double-deckers in January? When are they supposed to start?
Wednesday 26 January 2011 8.46am
This week has been dreadful on the 78 in the mornings. less buses, always packed and no way are they running to the service levels agreed with TFL. 4 years ago this was a scheduled 6-8 minute service. What are TFL doing about it - nothing as usual except playing with bloody bicycles.

this is the timetable TFL - it is not being met, 1/2 the buses do not exist - please do something about it.

Old Kent Road, Tesco 0541 0553 0605 0617 0627 0635 0643 0651 0658 0706 0713 0720 0728 0735 0744 0752 0801 0809
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions