London SE1 community website

78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
Friday 28 January 2011 12.12pm
It's no longer the case but before Christmas I waited a very long time quite late at night for the 78, before giving up and walking (all the way, as finally at Tower Bridge a driver speeded up and past the bus stop as we'd not quite made it there to hop on...) It was afterwards that I learnt that the stretch between Liverpool St and Aldgate was not being serviced - but was there anything to indicate this disruption??!! I felt for the lone Chinese girl who we'd left behind mid-route who could not speak English, still waiting for the bus...
Monday 14 March 2011 7.25am
So when are the long promised double deckers going to arrive?

It's now spring 2011 and this morning, as usual, the 0633am bus failed to turn up and the next one was packed out already and we could barely get on.
Monday 14 March 2011 11.32am
Some time in April, no exact date announced yet.
Tuesday 29 March 2011 2.20pm
Conversion starts this weekend:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5190

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 30 March 2011 8.39am
We look forward to this day. Well done all concerned.
Monday 4 April 2011 12.47pm
Hi - I was on the 78 bus this Saturday going to Shoreditch when the driver stopped at Commercial Street/ Great Eastern Street intersection and said that this was now the final stop and that the bus route had been changed from the 1st of April.

Is this correct? Looking at the TFL website it certainly looks like the 78 bus is still going all the way up to Shoreditch.

If it is indeed correct then it looks like the bargain have been double deckers for a shorter route, which is not exactly what I bargained for.

Does anyone know if the article above was based on any kind of notice from TFL?

Thanks

Jenny
Monday 4 April 2011 1.35pm
looks like the driver fell for his colleagues' April's Fool... (and they forgot to set him straight)
Monday 4 April 2011 1.46pm
Reading the minutes of the double decker test journey ( http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/58621/response/150789/attach/3/Minutes%20of%20route%20test%2002%2007%202010.pdf )there was going to be a review about where the 78 bus stand would be located due to complaints from residents in Tower Hamlets; I would have thought however that they can't just change the route without some consultation process/ at least making public the change? Wondering what the process is if anyone out there knows.

WRT to double deckers, I asked a bus driver the other day & these were due to be introduced on Saturday April 2nd, so I've been looking out for them all weekend, though so far spotted none, despite seeing in total about 10 different buses (granted they could have been the same few buses). I read in the article at http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5190 that they are due to all be in service by end May though so at least that's a deadline to look forward to.
Wednesday 6 April 2011 9.46am
OK - its not 6th April - still not one sight of a Double Decker 78. Anyone else seen the mythical beast? Another Arriva scam?
Wednesday 6 April 2011 9.59am
Well - I have now been informed by two additional bus drivers that since saturday the 78 bus only runs to the stop at Great Eastern Street, which I barely would consider Shoreditch.

This is not reflected on the TFL website, on any bus stop signs that I have seen, or by the actual signage of the bus which still says Shoreditch and I have not been able to find any note on a bus route change on the TFL website. The only way of finding out that the bus no longer services this part of the bus is to ask the drivers who as you can imagine are being very courteous about the situation when they kick people off the bus at Great Eastern Street.

So in conclusion this campaign for a better service has so far resulted in a deteriorated service and not a doubledecker in sight.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions