London SE1 community website

78 bus

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11
Wednesday 6 April 2011 9.29am
I didn't think they could change a bus route, except with the agreement of TFL? there is a contractual service agreement in there somewhere surely?
Wednesday 13 April 2011 9.56am
Owing to the still mythical DD's on this route I finally called Arriva. Guy there was very helpful and explained the 78 is getting the buses from the 38 route when they get new buses. Delay of 6-8 weeks from now owing to late deliveries and technical mods.

see here for bus type: http://www.londonbusroutes.net/photos/038.htm
Wednesday 13 April 2011 2.33pm
I really don't understand this. The 38 route has just got new buses - at least not longer than a year or so ago. It was the first route to get new buses to replace the bendies that Boris promised to have withdrawn.

I thought we were living in an age of austerity! So where has the money come from to ply the 38 bus route with even newer vehicles that it blatently doesn't need?

Is this the reason why public transport tickets go up every year? Because London's 'flagship' bus routes - of which 38 is one - can't possibly go without having new buses every few years?
Wednesday 13 April 2011 3.04pm
Probably they have found a goldmine because all the fare dodgers on the back of the bendy's now have to pay up!

(Arriva did say that these 38 buses were only a year old - us passengers on the 78 route are just grateful for anything better than the clapped out single deckers we have now).
Monday 18 April 2011 7.58am
Saw my first Arriva double deck 78 yesterday so at least one out!
Monday 18 April 2011 8.15am
was that with passengers? or on a training run.
Monday 18 April 2011 8.18am
Afraid I didn't notice, it was passing Liverpool Street station.
Monday 18 April 2011 11.02am
I saw one this morning, too. 8.02am on Grange Road heading West towards TBR and eventually Shoreditch.

Wow.

I also saw 2 non-double-deckers heading East towards Nunhead so I guess you'll need to be feeling lucky to get a big bus for the foreseeable future.

Nonetheless, they DO exist!
Monday 18 April 2011 7.43pm
Saw a great big shiny double decker southbound 78 this evening at 18.20 on Dunton Road, full of passengers, but happily and equally spread out between the upper deck and lower deck. Woohoo.
Monday 18 April 2011 7.47pm
Definitely one of the gungy single deckers tonight.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions