London SE1 community website

London Bridge 'gory scenes' petition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Saturday 24 October 2009 12.21am
Trevor wrote:
phoney wrote:
... Or am I reading too much into his statement.

Possibly, his very next sentance from the same quote is "If people choose to pay money to be 'entertained' in this way that is up to them. But those of us with more taste or different moral and ethical standards should not have to be confronted with it."

Quite right. Those of us with more taste and higher ethical standards should oppose everything other than the mythology of a fictional son of a fictional deity.

FFS. I've no problem with people being delusional, but it's possibly better to give them a dark padded room than to take them seriously.

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 24 October 2009 12.43am
The London Dungeon has been there more than 30 years (I went to it in 1977) but it was not marketed in such a crass way back then.
Recently my cousin was walking down Tooley St when one of the drummers-up (don't know from which attraction) screamed in his face - not a pleasant thing to happen. I just don't see the need for all the shouting and accosting passers-by.
Saturday 24 October 2009 12.54am
Auntie Pat wrote:
(don't know from which attraction)

It matters which do that and which don't.
Saturday 24 October 2009 1.30am
beetroot, as unrealistic and amateur as others may find the props, costumes and displays, my 5 year old daughter is reluctant to walk down the street, has nightmares and recently during a school exercise on "what would you like to change about the place you live" she said "I'd like the London Dungeon and London Experience to go away because they scare me so much". Other children at her school have expressed the same feelings. I believe I have a fairly feisty, articulate and intelligent child, not a sensitive individual who reacts irrationally.

Personally, I find it incredibly arrogant that they think they can push their form of marketing over and above all the other businesses on Tooley Street. Why do they have a right to take over the pavement and cause noise pollution all day long? What if every other business along Tooley Street stood outside displaying their wares and performing live demonstrations? As Julie said earlier, most London Dungeon visitors plan and specifically travel to London Bridge with the intention of visiting, it's not something that necessarily gets its business from passing traffic - "I was on my way to Borough Market and saw a mock execution so thought why not visit the London Dungeons en route?" - so no need to market in such an overt way.

The whole setup is crass, downmarket, tourist fodder and I think it's fair enough to sign a petition in order to try and improve our area. Maybe Southwark Council will feel the same now that visitors to their swish new headquarters have to walk past this sorry display.
Saturday 24 October 2009 8.39am
Enmab,

1. You're dead right - public enactments of executions or other cruelty are disturbing to children and must stop.
2. It is all tacky, but I like that in that place. It's not in itself a reason to ban good-natured hustling if it is good-natured.
3. Loads of visitors use London Bridge for other sites than the Dungeon.
4. Half the hustling is to confuse those who visit the Dungeon into visiting the other place.
5. As a separate matter, the abuse of this topic by omniscient 'new atheists' to sneer at Christianity, only speaks to their lack of class. Eg "Those of us with more taste and higher ethical standards should oppose everything other than the mythology of a fictional son of a fictional deity.

FFS. I've no problem with people being delusional, but it's possibly better to give them a dark padded room than to take them seriously
."
Saturday 24 October 2009 10.40am
emmab, you are dead wrong. You suggest that the loud noise and the executions have anything to do with the Dungeon. They don't. I think you should get your facts straight before writing.
Saturday 24 October 2009 11.59am
ninja999 wrote:
I last went to the London Dungeon about 2 months ago , and to be honest during the tour of the place . It seemed the kids loved it whilst most of there parents were the ones that were screaming !!!!

At those prices I'm not surprised!
Sunday 25 October 2009 12.04am
beetroot wrote:
Auntie Pat wrote:

beetroot, it may matter to you, but I don't think my cousin asked which attraction the screaming man was from - it was uncalled for and distressing.

I have been down Tooley St many times, and Both companies have these people out in the street accosting passers-by and it's not pleasant.
Sunday 25 October 2009 12.35am
Auntie Pat wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Auntie Pat wrote:

beetroot, it may matter to you, but I don't think my cousin asked which attraction the screaming man was from - it was uncalled for and distressing.

I have been down Tooley St many times, and Both companies have these people out in the street accosting passers-by and it's not pleasant.

Wrong.
Sunday 25 October 2009 1.06am
beetroot wrote:
Auntie Pat wrote:
beetroot wrote:
Auntie Pat wrote:

Wrong.

beetroot, I'm not going to argue with you, maybe the LBE people were encroaching on the LD space. They are annoying though, and from my cousin's point of view quite distressing (I hope you won't tell me I'm wrong about that!)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions