London SE1 community website

London Bridge 'gory scenes' petition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Sunday 25 October 2009 9.49am
Beetroot
You seem to be defending the London Dungeons a bit too much. Here are some of my observations and comments on the matter.
I have read in the press and on this forum many times that there have been major issues with The London Dungeons queue line blocking the exits to LB station. The IRA even targeted the London Dungeons a few years back and I for one was always concerned with the queues blocking the station fire exits.
It seems to me that they only changed there queue to go the other way down Tooley St, when The London Bridge Experience opened and NOT when they were asked to by the locals for many years or in the interests of health and safety.
I for one think that the London Dungeons new approach to there long queues is great (although the pubs whos entrances are blocked off do not agree). I also think that The London Bridge Experience is doing a good job to build up there business. The fact that they have taken what was a Sex club and created a tourist attraction is also good. What would you rather have on your door step!
But the biggest thing I like is that the guys who own The London Bridge Experince are locals and not some offshore corporate body.
Obiously this post is about gore and I agree that both attractions use gore as do many others in promoting an attraction or event(e.g body works at the 02) The London Dungeons also use signs outside there attraction with shows a man holding a cut throat razor to a childs throat. They also use loads buses driving around London with scary images to promote there attraction.
Both attractions also use people dressed up with fake blood to promote there business. The only difference is the mock executions that London Bridge Experience do, I spoke to one of the guys at The London Bridge Experience yesterday (before going to Millwall)and he told me that The London Bridge Experince only do there street theatre on there own property! Perhaps this area of pavement does not belong to Southwark Council. If this was in Covent Garden most of the people who post on here would love it.
Remember Scary movies are getting scarier as the years go on. when I was a kid watching Dracula films I was scared, now my kids laugh at the films, its just how it is. Halloween was not very well celebtrated when I was young and now its massive.
Keep it local.
Real SE1
Sunday 25 October 2009 10.15am
beetroot, you are extremely defensive, do you want to reveal your connection? As for 'getting my facts right', regardless of which one is doing mock executions (I do know it's the LBE) the point is that they both could do with toning their marketing down and keeping it within the confines of their premises.
Sunday 25 October 2009 11.33am
Auntie Pat wrote:
They are annoying though, and from my cousin's point of view quite distressing (I hope you won't tell me I'm wrong about that!)

No I won't. I think your cousin should be able to walk down the street without being attacked. As I've made clear I think LBE's behaviour is unacceptable, and should be controlled.

emmab wrote:
beetroot, you are extremely defensive, do you want to reveal your connection?

I have. Please read.

I hope the petition isn't devalued by the confusion between the two venues.
Sunday 25 October 2009 5.55pm
It won't be devalued, although it may be that you are hoping it will be, as the petition concerns both venues. If anything, the LBE gore and noise has just served to highlight the London Dungeons as both sides of the street have now been hijacked.
Tuesday 27 October 2009 9.46am
emmab wrote:
If anything, the LBE gore and noise has just served to highlight the London Dungeons as both sides of the street have now been hijacked.

True. Both venues block their respective pavement, with the LBE often now completely fencing off the south side of Tooley Street under London Bride for their queue.
Tuesday 27 October 2009 1.16pm
Jonathan the London Bridge Experience have there fences and stage on land that they control NOT on the pavement. The London Dungeons block the pavement on there side every time they are busy. They also blocked the fire exits to the LB station as well until the others opened up.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 9.12am
real-se1, last Saturday outside their entrance directly under London Bridge, they had barriers all along the pavement where their queue was. It totally blocked the pavement meaning everyone else who was passing by had to cross to use the other side of the road (where the blue pavement lights are) including us with our lad in a buggy. Not happy. I didn't imagine this!
KP
Wednesday 28 October 2009 1.58pm
In terms of the access problems created by queues along Tooley street it is at best annoying and at worst extremely unsafe due to having to step into the road to get past. Only small areas are fenced, and the pandemonium is made worse by staff tring to entertain the queues.
I wont be signing the petition however, as in my opinion the entertainment adds to the theatre of the area when controlled.While everyone is different, kids generally enjoy the ghoulish goings on. If you think they wont like it, then dont take them past! Its also a much better value taster than going into the rip-off of the venues themselves. There are many worse and more frightening real sights along Tooley street than the street theatre!.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 2.42pm
Can't say that either place bothers me greatly, although I always make sure I avoid the 'characters' in costume when walking past.

LBE looks tacky and frankly a bit rubbish and I always wonder how many tourists are getting ripped off thinking that they are going to the real London Dungeon.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 7.51pm
Howthedevil. I think they both look good and are good for the area. Mind you LD is backed by Blackstone and worth over $3Billion the LBE is two LOCAL fellas.
KP Dont suppose you have been effected by the Dungeons queue! The road outside LBE is no way near as busy as the LD!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions